Frequent Contributor

Question on shoes to work in!

Hello have a question , I work retail and on my feet on hard floors what shoes would be supportive ? no open toed shoes and no high heels and no athletic type shoes.  Just need comfortable shoes.          Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question on shoes to work in!

Look at SAS and see if any of their offerings would work with your outfits. They are supportive but not always stylish (although they are getting better).

Jambu makes some Mary Janes on a platform sole. I find those to be very comfortable too; I go up 1/2 size in that brand.

Respected Contributor

Rockport Total Motion. It feels like you are wearing a sneaker.

Honored Contributor

I'd look at Alegrias which were originally designed for medical professionals who are on their feet all day.  They come in many styles and colors.  Check them out at Alegriashoeshop.com.  They are my favorite "comfort" shoe and do give a lot of support if you chose a style that encloses the foot.  Many of the comfort shoes do have a sneaker or rubber soled design.  Nurse Mates come to mind for great support but are mostly a casual shoe. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you want something a little fashionable, I went to Fly Londons when I worked in retail after teaching.  I am so comfortable, I just keep on wearing them to lunches, craft shows, you name it!

Although the price is higher, you'll have them for years!

Respected Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Look at SAS and see if any of their offerings would work with your outfits. They are supportive but not always stylish (although they are getting better).

Jambu makes some Mary Janes on a platform sole. I find those to be very comfortable too; I go up 1/2 size in that brand.

I second SAS. But do yourself a big favor and get fitted at a shoe store that specializes in problem feet, even if yours are not, because the fit makes all the difference in the long-term comfort of these shoes. They have 6 widths in women's shoes, from S (slim) to WWW (triple wide), and there's where the experienced fitter can help you get the best fit for your foot.

I also have a pair of Soft Spots from 10 years ago in a clog style with a heel strap that were so comfortable that I wore them out of the box to a trip to NYC and walked over 50 blocks easily, no foot discomfort and no blisters. They were bought at the same store I got my SAS shoes, though, so they were also size-fitted properly. Don't know if they're as comfortable today, but they're a bit more stylish than SAS.

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

In no particular order: Alegria (funky, comfy), Birkenstock (Yes! They make closed-toe shoes now!); Vionics/Orthaheel (Watch out: some closed-toe shoes are not ALL leather uppers...I learned the expensive way); and Fly London (I have not worn these to work, but have worn them to all-day events, and danced until the wee hours in them....could have danced several MORE hours in them!)

All of these are on the expensive side (for my budget), but shoes are something I have to spend some $$$ on; I'll find sales and bargain items elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

I have friends who always buy Dansko and say they are very comfortable and wearable all day.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I'm on my feet a lot and I vote for Dansko or Fly London or Clarks. 

Honored Contributor

In addition to the brands already mentioned (Birkenstock, Alegria, Rockport, Cole Haan, Clarks) I like the following:

Sanita

Pikolinos

Keen

Born

AGL

Nine West

Munro

If you can wear boots, I like Ariat (they have Goodyear technology) that keep you bouncing all day.

@MeadowLark