Esteemed Contributor

Metatarsal pain and orthotic support

Since last fall I've been noticing ball of foot or metatrsal pain from walking long distances and it really kicked up when I was in Las Vegas. I bought a comfy pair of Abeo lace up sneakers and the metatarsal arch support orthotic footbed inserts and it helped a lot. They were purchased from The Walking Company store. So what else or what other brands have helped you? I have a high instep, a wider forefoot and a narrow heel.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Metatarsal pain and orthotic support

I have the same issues, except me feet are very narrow and I also have a high arch. For dress shoes, I only wear Munro American. For a few flat casual shoes, I have inserted the "Green" good feet inserts. (I'll need to double check the brand name. If you search "green orthotic inserts" on Amazon, I think they will come up. They're pricey (around $50 a pair), but they are the ONLY ones that work for me.

Honored Contributor

For my exercise walking shoes, I swear by the Aetrex Lynco Sport orthotics for women that have the metatarsal "bump."  (and btw, I have two pairs of an Aetrex wedge sandal that are the most comfortable I've ever had -- Aetrex Naya wedge -- very nice-looking too)

Here is first the Naya, which has the support built in, and then the orthotics:

Nayametatarsal

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I too have that same problem.  I wear the hard orthotics from my orthopaedist.  Those even irritate the area at times.  I also have a very high arch.  Found a pair of Sketchers at TJ Maxx that have these big bubbles on the bottom similar to picture below (Skech-Air 2.0).  These have really protected my toe and I don't feel the pain when I wear them.  On Zappos they are $75 - I paid around $36 - wish now I had gotten two pair because they are gone now.  Regular bottoms on tennis shoes kill my toe.  Good luck -my problem has gone on for over 13 years. 

SKECHERS Skech-Air 2.0 - Sweet Life

Occasional Contributor

When you wear the munroe sandal, do you wear a wedge, or flats? When wearing the wedge dos your metatarsal hurt?

I have flat feet and wear orthotics. But, I can't put those inside a sandal.
Honored Contributor

@MIMIJ wrote:
When you wear the munroe sandal, do you wear a wedge, or flats? When wearing the wedge dos your metatarsal hurt?

I have flat feet and wear orthotics. But, I can't put those inside a sandal.

@MIMIJ, if you want just some metatarsal support, you can buy clear just a metatarsal cushion or pad. They even come in clear gel sot that they would be virtually invisible.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland