Respected Contributor

Re: I can't wait for Gladiator Style Sandals to go away

Gladiator sandals are not something I would wear but I like them on other people.

Respected Contributor

I could not agree more that the ankle-hugging gladiator style is unflattering on the leg, even if you are thin.  I know the style is still hot, but a lot of unflattering things come and go in the fashion world. Happily, I know there are more classic, elegant, and flattering shoe options for those of us who wouldn't be caught dead in the stubby-leg look produced by gladiators and booties--but not much in the way of good shoes on QVC, I have to say. I think the "nude shoe" look this spring, with, say, a ballet flat or heel that matches your skin tone creating a monochromic long-legged look has been a nice alternative. To each his own.....

Honored Contributor

ballet flats are supposedly flattering? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I wear everything from heels to ballet flats and love them all. Ballet flats never go out of style, do they? So chic if you buy the good ones. You know the brand I mean!

Honored Contributor

All those straps and/or ties on gladiator shoes and sandals would be very uncomfortable and irritating on my legs and feet.  I would never wear them.  I am not, however, having trouble finding other kinds of shoes to purchase.  If I had trouble finding shoes I like, my closet wouldn't be full of so many different pairs.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

There are many styles of shoes I don't care for but, as long as no one forces me to wear them, their existence doesn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

I have never been able to wear them (they're not really new, have been around, gone and back again a few times) as my feet /ankles have never been thin even in my teens & 20s. I think they can look okay to attractive when worn as sandals/flat shoes but I really din't like gladiator shoeties or as I saw yesterday at 2-3 weddings (popular public place for weddings), 4 inch heel gladiators worn by women who had to hang on to hubby or BF for dear life or they'd fall flat on their face.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I didn't like them in the 60's and the 70's and even less now. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think they look good on any one I have seen them in. They look like they are cutting you off at the ankle, especially when they are wearing short skirts or dresses. They are not flattering on any leg or foot size. Look in a full length mirror and then try a wedge or heel on in a non gladiator style and tell me your total look is not more flattering. Again, just my opinion.

Regular Contributor

Such a funny post.  You don't have to wear them, you know.  I have a couple pair and I really like them, but if I didn't I just wouldn't buy them.  There are plenty of other styles out there, which I also wear.  I can't stand Vera Bradley bags, but I don't wish them to go away.  There are number of people who like them, and I have seen them look nice on certain people with what they are wearing.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a whole bunch of high heel Vince Camuto caged gladiator sandals that go all the way up to the knee at Winners (owned by TJX, the parent company of T.J.Maxx and Marshall's). They were on an end display so there were a lot of them, I think it's the Kase style of shoe. The leather looks like stiff cowhide -- they look like outlet quality sandals, cheaply made, stiff, and uncomfortable. At about $100 CDN, those shoes are not selling, millenials aren't dying to wear these at all, so maybe the gladiator sandal is on the way out.