Valued Contributor

Re: How Do You Clean Your Birkenstock Footbeds?

I was wondering if any of you ladies had your Birkenstocks redyed?   I love this Navy Blue pair that I have but since it is Navy, the sun down here has killed the color.   I am alway looking for Navy Blue Birkies but can not find ones that I like in that color. 

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I bought a pair on ebay- a favorite style in another color. They were hardly worn - the print on the footbed was vibrant & clear. But I still wiped down the footbed with a disinfecting wipe.

This is exactly what I do with mine, @Ibby114

@butterfly123, as needed, I will use a couple of Lysol lemon-scented disinfecting wipes on the insoles of my Birkenstocks. I have even used them on the tops of my suede clogs and the soles. Then, just leave them to dry overnight. This has never harmed them at all over the years. 

Trusted Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

I was wondering if any of you ladies had your Birkenstocks redyed?   I love this Navy Blue pair that I have but since it is Navy, the sun down here has killed the color.   I am alway looking for Navy Blue Birkies but can not find ones that I like in that color. 

@tampalady, I have not, but if your Birks are suede, you should be able to dye them a darker shade of navy with suede dye. (You just can’t go a lighter shade of any color.) 

Valued Contributor

I just left my shoes at the shoe repair store.  Yes, he said they could be redyed but it will be a darker Navy Blue.  It only cost me $35 to have them dyed.   I know a lot of money but I wear them all of the time and figure it was worth it.  Hope they last forever!

Honored Contributor

I have about a zillion pairs and I have never cleaned the footbeds.

Trusted Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

I just left my shoes at the shoe repair store.  Yes, he said they could be redyed but it will be a darker Navy Blue.  It only cost me $35 to have them dyed.   I know a lot of money but I wear them all of the time and figure it was worth it.  Hope they last forever!

I'm happy for you, @tampalady! You found someone to redye your Birks for you. Less mess for you to deal with, and at a reasonable price, too. 😊

Hope you get many more years of wear out of them. True enough, I have rarely seen them offered in navy blue any longer. Enjoy!