Esteemed Contributor

When I was at Macy's a couple of weeks ago, I saw a few pairs of loafers by G. H. Bass, but they didn't have my size.  I remember wearing Bass shoes when I was in elementary school.  Haven't thought of or seen the brand in years!  I went online and found their website and signed up for their emails.  I just received a pair of pebbled leather Weejuns, and they are so comfy and well made.  I can't believe they cost under $50!!! I got them from the clearance section and they had a take an extra 30% off sale last week with free shipping.  I will definitely buy from them again!

Just thought I'd share and ask if any of you have tried the Bass  brand?  It's so nice to find them again! 

Regular Contributor

The two standout Christmas gifts from Jr. High days (40 years ago) were my first pair of Weejuns and a Villager shirtwaist (with stickpin!). Man I treasured both. My Christmas gift in 11th grade was the "I'll die if I don't get one""EVERYONE else has one" London Fog trench coat.

Thanks for the memories. I'm off to the Bass website to sign up for promos. Then looking for my Villager pin when I get home. I know it is stuck away in an ancient jewelry box Smiley Happy Rose

Honored Contributor

There is a Bass outlet about an hour from me. and they have the best socks. I go every year to replenish my stock.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My first pair of Bass Weejuns were $13. (other brand penny loafers were under $7)  I loved them.  Back then they had thick leather soles.  The Weejuns today cannot compare in quality to the originals.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcrose wrote:

The two standout Christmas gifts from Jr. High days (40 years ago) were my first pair of Weejuns and a Villager shirtwaist (with stickpin!). Man I treasured both. My Christmas gift in 11th grade was the "I'll die if I don't get one""EVERYONE else has one" London Fog trench coat.

Thanks for the memories. I'm off to the Bass website to sign up for promos. Then looking for my Villager pin when I get home. I know it is stuck away in an ancient jewelry box Smiley Happy Rose

And thank you for the memories @qvcrose!  I forgot about the London Fog trench that I wore with my Bass shoes!  What a classic!  😊

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

My first pair of Bass Weejuns were $13. (other brand penny loafers were under $7)  I loved them.  Back then they had thick leather soles.  The Weejuns today cannot compare in quality to the originals.

These look just like the ones my mom and sister wore.  😊

I recall that my favorite pair of Bass had tassels and my other pair had laces.  

I agree they appear to have thinner soles compared to the ones I had years ago, but the pair I just ordered is good quality.  Lately I've been wearing loafers by Michael Kors and Coach, and they seem really inferior compared to these new Bass Weejuns, although they cost twice as much.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

There is a Bass outlet about an hour from me. and they have the best socks. I go every year to replenish my stock.

I'll look for a Bass Outlet when I am around the outlet malls.  I saw the socks and clothes on their website and wondered about the quality.  Thanks for sharing that!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, somewhere around the early '80s, the loafers on a platform sole were all the rage.  The Bass name was deeply imprinted on the sole so you left name-brand footprints.  I think I even had some casual leather hiking boots from Bass.  I remember liking them quite a bit.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Oh.......memories!   It took a year to break those things in, tho...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Oh how we loved these.  Such great memories.