Super Contributor

Re: Does you wallet have to match your purse?

Ideally, I love the look of the handbag and wallet matching, it's very chic IMHO. For those of us who are purse collectors and change out our bags often, it's very impractical.
Super Contributor

Mine doesn't have to match. I have a little shiny red Dooney that has all the pockets and places that I need and I just put it in any bag I'm carrying.

Trusted Contributor

I hope not, I have an expensive kate spade in pink. I like it bc I can see it in a purse, no matter what color.

Honored Contributor

I like mine to match. I don't switch pocketbooks often. When I do, I switch wallets also.

Super Contributor

It does not have to match in terms of Dooney bag/Dooney wallet, but it can't clash, either. Usually not a problem for me- I have a bronze wallet that is pretty neutral. I agree with one poster, though, that commented on what a mess a lot of people's wallets are. I tried to get my husband a new one, and he said " I just broke it in how I like it!" What I did for him was get him a $ clip when I was in Mexico, so if we go somewhere nicer he can take his license and cash and use the $ clip.

Honored Contributor

Not at all.

Honored Contributor

For me, yes, my wallets have to match my purses. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} My Dooney & Bourke bags each have their own wallet -- I even have a few different shades of brown wallets, e.g., T'Moro and Saddle, to match each of the brown purses. My Vera Bradley bags have matching wallets, matching cosmetic bags and matching sunglasses holders (no mixing of patterns here). I even have a few Tignanello bags with matching wallets. In my stray accessory area, I have two wallets that I found on major sale that I need to find matching purses for at some point. I am lucky to live an hour away from an outlet mall with Dooney & Bourke, Coach and other stores with quality small leather goods, so that helps with the cost. I also swung through the charming jewelry store where everything is grouped by color last night after dinner and found a really nice cream-colored wallet that didn't smell funny for $15! When I get my Roma 2s this week, I will take the ice metallic with me out to the Coach outlet store to see if I can find a matching metallic wallet...wouldn't that be schnazzy? {#emotions_dlg.lol} Truly, I do get a lot of compliments when I'm checking out at stores when clerks see the matching wallet. Right now I'm carrying a lavender Dooney & Bourke Florentine Small Satchel with the matching lavender Florentine Checkbook Organizer wallet and lavender Florentine cosmetic. And I hope that manufacturers keep making wallets, even though the buzz is that cell phones with swipe technology will eventually replace our wallets for purchases. I think there are enough of us old-fashioned ones who love our wallets and don't mind changing them out to match the next bag we're using. And it's fun to watch those to whom I gift a purse because they know if I gave them a purse, they should look inside to find the matching wallet.

Honored Contributor

It has to at least coordinate. I prefer my accessories to match.

Frequent Contributor

Heck no. If my wallet is in good shape and is functional in the ways I need it to be, I really don't care if it matches my bag.

Valued Contributor

I like for my wallet to match my handbag but a lot of times I don't have the time to switch out. And I find I get used to one wallet and hate to change to something else. I also like my wristlets to match my purse and that I can do easily. I carry a wristlet in my purse to hold my checkbook and a pen. I like the Vera Bradley wristlets to carry thing in my purse to find things easily. I carry Dooney purses but like the Vera Bradley wristlets. They are a little bit longer so hold a checkbook where the Dooney wristlets don't.