Valued Contributor

I wear custom orthotics and also some of the Vionic orthotic inserts. I've found a great way to keep the orthotics clean if you are not wearing socks/tights. I get a pair of footies, (the barely can see type of socks you would wear with ballet slippers) and I put the footie on the orthotic, with the elastic part of the footie on the underneath side of the orthotic. This gives a cover to the part of the orthotic that touches your feet. Then I just have to wash the footie as needed and the insert stays clean. 

I have the SmartWool brand, but there are lots of options out there.

Honored Contributor

I have some I put on my walking shoes to give me more arch support. I bought them online.  They work great! I have planter fasciitis  in my right foot and it feels much better since I have been using them.  I meant to say in the first sentence I put them in  my walking shoes but with this terrible website and all the problems I can not move the curser to correct anything.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a pair of metatarsal support orthotics from the Walking Company store in Las Vegas to put in the athletic walking sneakers I bought from them. They were not cheap, they sell them individually in the store and each orthotic was $40 U.S. So the shoes including those orthotics were nearly $200 including tax as the shoes were on sale for $99 U.S.

Honored Contributor

@Day1128

@Day1128 wrote:

I wear custom orthotics and also some of the Vionic orthotic inserts. I've found a great way to keep the orthotics clean if you are not wearing socks/tights. I get a pair of footies, (the barely can see type of socks you would wear with ballet slippers) and I put the footie on the orthotic, with the elastic part of the footie on the underneath side of the orthotic. This gives a cover to the part of the orthotic that touches your feet. Then I just have to wash the footie as needed and the insert stays clean. 

I do wear custom orthotics --- which I hate, by the way because I cannot wear any nice shoes or sandals.  What type of shoes do you wear, if you don't mind my asking?  I can only wear sneakers.  And even some of these I have a hard time getting the orthotics to fit in well.  That is a nice idea about the footie though.  I wear the very short low-cut socklets with my sneakers every day.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Day1128

@Day1128 wrote:

I do wear custom orthotics --- which I hate, by the way because I cannot wear any nice shoes or sandals.  What type of shoes do you wear, if you don't mind my asking?  I can only wear sneakers.  And even some of these I have a hard time getting the orthotics to fit in well.  That is a nice idea about the footie though.  I wear the very short low-cut socklets with my sneakers every day.  Thanks! 

I wear Clark's Ashland Lane a lot. I had rip their insert out, as it was glued in, but my custom ones fit ok, as do the Vionic inserts. Asic tennis shoes and I use the orthotics for those. Clark's boots in the winter (I'm in Alaska). Of course with my sandals, I can't use them, but I usually wear Vionic sandals which have a good arch support (I have a very high arch and it is hard to find the right support). I have a pair of Finn sandals and their built in arch support is great, but the sandals are $$$. 

Honored Contributor

@Day1128

@Day1128 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Day1128

@Day1128 wrote:

I wear Clark's Ashland Lane a lot. I had rip their insert out, as it was glued in, but my custom ones fit ok, as do the Vionic inserts. Asic tennis shoes and I use the orthotics for those. Clark's boots in the winter (I'm in Alaska). Of course with my sandals, I can't use them, but I usually wear Vionic sandals which have a good arch support (I have a very high arch and it is hard to find the right support). I have a pair of Finn sandals and their built in arch support is great, but the sandals are $$$. 

Thank you for responding to me!  I am fearful of not wearing my orthotics at any time as I have such problems.  I have been trying and trying to find other shoes to wear that will accommodate the dumb things and have not been having any luck.  Problem is my bad foot/ankle has an orthotic that is pretty built up so this makes it difficult, to say the least.  Do you find it bothers you to go back and forth between your orthotics and the Vionics?  I have been wanting to try these sandals but have been scared to.  I am not worried about the return factor because I know I can return them.  I am worried about causing more pain and/or damage to my condition.  Thanks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin