Regular Contributor

Do you need to put stuffing in purses when storing them?

I was storing my purses on my closet shelf & decided they just took up waaay too much space. So I bought the purse organizer by Lori Greiner (item #H189818) & it freed up tons of room.

B4 putting the purses in the organizer I took the stuffing out of them (there's just not enuf room in the organizer to leave all the stuffing in each purse). When I was done I was left with a *humongous* pile of stuffing. I'd like to get rid of it, but am worried about what will happen to my purses w/out it? If it helps, most of my purses are Tignanello; some are pebble leather & some are glove; most are large totes. Any advice? (Ideally, I'd like to leave the stuffing out altogether, unless it'll hurt my purses.)

Thanks, all!

Regular Contributor

Re: Do you need to put stuffing in purses when storing them?

I do keep the stuffing as it keeps the leather bags in shape when u r not using them.
Valued Contributor

I always leave the stuffing in my purses when I store them. I am afraid they might get a wrinkle in the leather that might cause a mark. May never happen but I don't want to take a chance. Too much money invested in them!

Trusted Contributor

Funny you should mention this. I just bought three of the same handbags from three different vendors on Ebay. Two arrived stuffed, the other did not. The stuffed bag looks so much better and holds it shape more so than the others. I plan on stuffing all my bags, if only lightly so they hold their shape. They are Dooney, canvas with leather trim.

Regular Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Shaunac said:

Funny you should mention this. I just bought three of the same handbags from three different vendors on Ebay. Two arrived stuffed, the other did not. The stuffed bag looks so much better and holds it shape more so than the others. I plan on stuffing all my bags, if only lightly so they hold their shape. They are Dooney, canvas with leather trim.

Thanks for the reply, Shaunac. I have so much stuff I put into my purses that I have a feeling that once I take a purse out of storage and get everything back into it that one wouldn't be able to tell if it had lost its shape....??

Super Contributor

I wish I would have saved my paper. Good idea to stuff them. They come that way for a good reason.

Super Contributor

Good idea. thanks

Honored Contributor

They hold the shape better if you stuff and protect them by putting in a bag .

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I usually stuff my handbags to keep their shape and then put them in a dust bag or clean pillowcase so that one purse doesn't directly touch another one.

Super Contributor

Yes, I dislike that smashed look bags get. I stuff my bags and set them upright or try to hang them to keep the shape.