Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning out my shoe collection around the New Year

I know that may people have the New Year's resolution to clean out their closets and organize them and I'm no exception. I went through some of my boxed shoes (heels and pumps) and tried them on. Any shoe that was uncomfortable as in too tight or stiff got the boot.

One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that I cannot tolerate a heel height more than about 2 - 2.5 inches as I will get pain under the ball of my foot so those shoes went too. My feet also got a bit wider so some mediums are too tight -- those went out too.

I have 6 pairs of new, unworn pumps and wedge dress shoes to donate once the local thrift store opens after the New Year's holiday is over.

My New Year's resolution is to be more mindful and only pick shoes that are comfortable from the get go and don't settle for less!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my shoe collection around the New Year

I have gotten rid of all the shoes that hurt, and now only buy comfortable shoes.

I have more shoes than I can count, but none of them hurts my feet.

Honored Contributor

I'm going the opposite way. I finally started buying shoes online this year, because it's so hard to find quality size 11 womens shoes locally. And I was tired of living in the same three pairs. I've been so excited to find shoes I like that fit that I've bought 15 pairs of shoes this year. I also started wearing heels again and I'm loving it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I just did a closet purge recently and that included 5 pairs of shoes. I got rid of sneakers and snow boots that were too tight. I also got rid of 3 pairs of ballet flats (my weakness). They were getting worn. 

I am also trying not to settle regarding buying new shoes. I am trying to replace high heels with wedges because I find those more comfortable but they still provide height. 

Esteemed Contributor

So today I went through my boot collection and donated at least 6 pair as I don't wear most of them because the heel is too high for me now or they don't zip up easily. One pair was an unworn pair of White Mountain ones that had a hard sole and that were stiff. Whatever was I thinking when I bought those off of QVC years ago? So now all of my boots that I kept I feel like I could wear them as they are flat like Ugg knock-offs or one pair of cowboy boot with a 2 inch heel.

i'm going to help my daughter do a shoe purge this weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter got rid of a bag of boots and shoes and tossed out a few old sneakers.

Round 3 of shoe purging was several pairs of cowboy mules as they didn't have a comfort insole and the outsoles were hard. Two pairs were White Mountain branded ones that I bought from QVC back in 2009 or earlier. I also got rid of one pair of shooties as the forefoot didn't have a padded insole so they couldn't be worn very long. Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes so out they went too!

Esteemed Contributor

Round 4 of shoe purging. Today I decided to test drive an older pair of Aerosoles mules. They are cute but the heel is a bit high now and it wasn't even an hour in those shoes walking on a tiled mall floor that I started to feel pain in the ball of my foot. Not even the cushioned forefoot helped. By the time I got home my toes were starting to burn. So out they went and 4 other pairs of Aerosoles with a similar sole.

These shoes are pretty, but they don't pass the comfort test for me anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Round 5 of shoe purging were some Naturalizer mules and shoes that had too much of a forward pitch to them so my toes started hurting after about 15 minutes, maybe because my toes are grabbing the footbed.

But I still have a lot of nice shoes but just weeding out the ones that I can't and don't want to wear.

Today I also was in Sears Canada and tried on 2 pair of Clarks Hadyn Juniper suede flats in wine in a size 8. Of course one pair fit better than the other. It just drives me crazy how shoes can vary in fit even when they are supposed to be the same.