Trusted Contributor

Seems approriate for the shoe forum. I'm sure it's because of wearing heels for 35 years. Mine seem to have gotten worse recently. I can't imagine this is something my PCP would approve for any kind of surgery. Not that I would actually want surgery, for that matter. Anyone out there with this problem? What did you do about it?

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

Re: Bunions, anyone have this?

I had bunion surgery on both feet about 15 years ago.  Since that time, I have had revision surgery on one foot.  The new surgery included the placcement of an artificial joint in the toe.  It is wonderful.  The other foot needs to be redone, but, I have not yet taken care of it.

I wish you luck as you deal with the problem.  I agree that years of wearing very high heels has done nothing good for my feet either.

Esteemed Contributor

I have bunions and tailors bunions but have not had enough pain to consider surgery.  I have had two other surgeries related to broken bones and not one of them is crossing over my big toe.  What I have done is switch to wide shoes and flats.  Usually that is enough.

Honored Contributor

morganjen, if you google "bunions," you'll find some recommendations for relief -- I tried them all (change in shoes, shoe stretching, ibuprofen (can't do that for too long), ice, etc.).

Nonsurgical treatment

Nonsurgical treatment usually is used to decrease pressure on the big toe and relieve pain. Treatment includes:

• Wearing roomy shoes that have wide and deep toe boxes (the area that surrounds the toes), low or flat heels, and good arch supports. Avoid tight, narrow, or high-heeled shoes that put pressure on the big toe joint. actionset.gifFoot Problems: Finding the Right Shoes
  • Using bunion pads, arch supports, or custom-made supports (orthotics). They can help redistribute your weight while you are walking and take pressure off your big toe. Ask your doctor to help you choose the right kind of pads.
  • Using moleskin or felt patches over or around pressure areas, to protect the bunion from being rubbed by your shoes.
  • Taking nonprescription medicine to relieve pain and reduce swelling. Examples include acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin. Talk to your doctor about which pain reliever is best for you.
  • Using ice to relieve pain and reduce swelling. Apply ice to the joint for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your skin. Elevate your foot so that your toe is higher than your heart.

If these help to alleviate your pain and your bunions don't get worse, then that's ideal. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. I had my the big toe on my right foot done first. The surgeon had to fuse it because the joint was in bad shape. He did some other work on toes at the time. A few months later, I had the left foot done.  I would do it all over again, even thought it was a royal PITA.

My third surgery to remove some hardware that was bothering was a breeze.

My fourth surger was the worst. Again, on my right foot he had to fix a tailor's bunion that had me basically unable to walk. The recuperation time was longer this time because of the procedure he needed to do.

This last surgery was two years ago. My feet aren't pretty, but they give me very little trouble. I am back to exercise walking.

So if down the road, you need surgery, don't put it off. The worse the condition, the more complicated the surgery. I'm sure that your doctor would refer you and that if deemed necessary, it would be covered by insurance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

My sister developed a bunion on just her right foot but she also has a mild case of scoliosis of her spine so she probably has uneven pressure on her feet. She had bunion surgery about 3 years ago and it took at least a good year for all of the swelling to go down so she could wear her normal shoes. She's never been someone who wore a lot of high heeled shoes either so sometimes it's just genetics.

Why not inquire as to your surgical options with your PCP? My sister had her bunion fixed and one of the reasons that she did was her husband's health insurance covered the surgery.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks all for your information. I don't think mine are at the point of surgery yet. But I have noticed them larger from even a year ago. High heeled pumps may a thing of the past for me (or at least worn much more briefly than all day).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I have one moderate bunion that is not painful at all, so surgery is not an option. I hate the way it looks so I only wear shoes that conceal it. There are a lot of sandals I won't wear. I use a bunion splint at night that the doctor recommended to strengthen the muscle and keep the bunion from getting worse which has worked for me.
Honored Contributor

I was born with a club foot and have had numerous major surgeries throughout my lifetime because of it. I now have bunions but they don't hurt and I have no desire for any more surgeries on my feet if they aren't absolutely needed. I certainly would not have major surgery just for the appearance - esp. since my feet are awful looking anyway due to scars and bulges from previous surgery and metal left in them.

Honored Contributor

I have bunions on both foot, thanks to genetics (runs in the family on both sides).

About 15 years ago I was having alot of pain and they told me I needed surgery but I was only in my twenties at that time just starting my career and didn't really want to take all that time off.

I am glad I waited because I really didn't need it right then and there and there was no guarantee they wouldn't give me a problem later on down the road. I still have pain occasionally but shoes and inserts are key- I really pay when I wear bad (but cute, lol) shoes. I will only do the surgery if they get so bad I can't take the pain. I am not anywhere near that at this point though but wouldn't hesitate to get the surgery if it got to that point. My insurance would cover it- I'm not sure why you would think your PCP would not approve the surgery? It is a medical issue that causes pain, just like anything else.