Super Contributor

Brahmin bags....are more made in the US or China

I realize that I haven't had much coffee this mornning, but I've been doing some reading on Brahmin's web site....and on one hand, it sounds like most of their bags are still made in the US. On the other hand, in the area of their site, "social responsibility"...it sounds like many of them are being made in China. Just curious what someone else may think of what Brahmin is saying....
<h2>Where are your bags manufactured?</h2>

At Brahmin we have a long standing dedication to manufacturing in the

United States. We are a rarity in our field keeping as much

production as possible at our state-of-the-art manufacturing

facilities at our headquarters in Massachusetts. We are proud to be

an American brand and continue to keep as much of our production as

possible here in the USA.

<h1 class="sIFR-replaced">Social Responsibility</h1>

Many of our customers have shared their thoughts and questions about the production and manufacturing of our products which I feel compelled to address. I share many of your same concerns. Nothing disappoints me more than the lack of value that our fellow Americans put on domestic production. In Europe, for example, I believe that a craftsperson who manufactures handbags is looked up to as the talented artisan that they are. In the USA, I fear, that they are looked down on as second class citizens. I must say that the majority of our craftspeople at Brahmin are sending their children to college (as they should) to provide more opportunity for them to grow - both intellectually and financially.

I believe that we will always have a strong manufacturing component here in the USA - as it enables us to respond to changes in our customers demand more quickly, to develop new styles in shorter lead times, and frankly it just seems like the "right" thing to do.

With regard to the working conditions in the factories in China. While we don't have an ownership role in them, we do work closely with the owners/management of the factories to be sure that they are producing up to our quality requirements, and in an efficient manner. Other major handbags brands have product made in these same factories, including Coach and Prada. I travel to these factories multiple times per year, and have been very impressed with the working conditions.

As you have probably heard about in the news, China is facing large labor shortages. In order for factories to attract employees, they must keep increasing their pay rates. I expect that this will only accelerate as the world comes out of recession - and this will have the most positive effect on raising the standard of living (and working conditions) for those employees.

SOOOOOO...Are they producing the bulk of their bags here...or in China?? Any thoughts on this???