Contributor

What makes them different then other Birkenstocks? Also do you know where to buy Betula Berks?

TIA

Respected Contributor

I do not know if it's still true but Birkenstocks were made in Germany. Betulas (at least the ones on HSN) were made in China. They had the patented footbed but the sizing was different.

Contributor

I knew Birkenstock would never go the China rouie - checked them out on 6pm.com. The ones I saw are made in Spain. Phew!

Respected Contributor

Betula are made with a felt suede rather than leather suede straps.

It was originally supposed to be a sort of vegan line then morphed into a less expensive line of shoes because leather is more costly.

I actually react better to Betulas--leather dyes often bother my feet especially if they are sweaty. Our factory official shoes in Germany were Birkenstocks--white ones. Can you imagine going to work and everyone in some high tech factory is wearing Birkies? It was funny!

Factoid: Betula is Latin for Birch Tree--Birkenstock being the name of the creator of the shoes means ""Birch stick"" in Germany)

Occasional Contributor
I have one pair of betula's and they are made of real leather, not the birkoflor (however it is spelled). They have several lines, if you go into the birkenstock website, you can look up all the different lines and the reasoning behind the line. I wish they still carried betulas at SAMs club. I'd buy every color in every style they carried, if I saw them there again. I wish birkenstock would bring more of the original styles and some new prints back to qvc. What happened? Is it just spring cleaning? Or are they being phased out? I'd really like to know if there will be a TSV this summer too? I miss when there were several birk tsvs a year, I bought nearly every 1. Would again.
Super Contributor
I have three pairs of the betulas I bought about 10 years ago off of HSN when they were a TS. I still wear them as slippers around the house. I like the arch support they provide. They have held up very well!