Honored Contributor

@FUTURE

and here's a more modern version of greens that you probably have heard of. My daughter and mother make it.

Get fresh Kale and break off stems. Layer a cookie sheet with tin foil -wash and dry and lay kale single layer on cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake-I don't know about 350 degrees until crispy and done -I'm guessing 20 minutes at least depending on oven.-can eat for snacks, football or at dinner.

(I'll being this if I can come to dinner lol!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I think your menu sounds delicious and perfect just the way it is.  One appetizer is plenty and there is nothing wrong with serving corn and mashed potatoes.  Your meal sounds really great.  

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have no idea what your friends like, but you sure have a lot of artery clogging foods there!  

How about some fresh vegetables ... and something with not so much grease?   

I'll do green beans instead of mashed potatoes. We eat health about 95% of the time, as do our friends, so I'm not concerned about this one meal clogging our arteries, and I know they aren't, either. When we do go out or eat at one another's homes, they are "treat meals", so I'll fix things we wouldn't normally eat and we will enjoy the meal and our time together! Thanks for your suggestion! Smiley Happy

WHAT???? you are NOT going to have mashed potatoes and gravy? i NEED that with fried chicken!!!

how about some cornbread also?

i have plenty of men around in our family that love double starches, even when we go out they get mashed potatoes/french fries, mac n cheese and baked potatoes......you get the idea. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I think you've got it figured out nicely! Sounds great!

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@FUTURE

and here's a more modern version of greens that you probably have heard of. My daughter and mother make it.

Get fresh Kale and break off stems. Layer a cookie sheet with tin foil -wash and dry and lay kale single layer on cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake-I don't know about 350 degrees until crispy and done -I'm guessing 20 minutes at least depending on oven.-can eat for snacks, football or at dinner.

I like to cook green beans like this, chicken and potatoes too.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@FUTURE

I like to cook green beans like this, chicken and potatoes too.

Yes! My mother does this too. And with sweet potatoes cut in thin slices.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have no idea what your friends like, but you sure have a lot of artery clogging foods there!  

How about some fresh vegetables ... and something with not so much grease?   

I'll do green beans instead of mashed potatoes. We eat health about 95% of the time, as do our friends, so I'm not concerned about this one meal clogging our arteries, and I know they aren't, either. When we do go out or eat at one another's homes, they are "treat meals", so I'll fix things we wouldn't normally eat and we will enjoy the meal and our time together! Thanks for your suggestion! Smiley Happy

WHAT???? you are NOT going to have mashed potatoes and gravy? i NEED that with fried chicken!!!

how about some cornbread also?

i have plenty of men around in our family that love double starches, even when we go out they get mashed potatoes/french fries, mac n cheese and baked potatoes......you get the idea. LOL

LOL @sunshine45! If my husband has anything to do with it, we'll have corn, mashed potatoes, AND green beans. HAHA! I love mashed potatoes and gravy with fried chicken, too. But I can't NOT have the corn. I thought about cornbread, but we'll have cornbread croutons on our salad. I could just sit down and eat cornbread with butter for dinner. But I don't Smiley Wink Especially if it's jalapeno cheese cornbread. TDF!

Esteemed Contributor

For this one meal......just enjoy!  It really is not a life or death deal.  Corn and potatoes are great together and for one meal they will  not hurt anyone!

Respected Contributor

Have the dang mashed potatoes! Yes corn and potatoes are both starches but they're so different. It's not like you're serving mashed potatoes and rice together. I would do: fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn dish, and biscuits for sopping up the gravy. I probably wouldn't even do the green salad, although I am sure it is delish. The pimento cheese is plenty for the appetizer, as is the banana pudding for dessert.

When you're all done, load them up in a wheel barrel and roll them outta there. They, no doubt, will be stuffed to the gills...and you will be exhausted. Ha! 

And BTW, I'm about as Southern as they come. 

Respected Contributor

Oh, and if you decide to ditch the green salad, you could do your pimento cheese appetizer stuffed into celery sticks and that would be kind of saladish. I'm not really a fan of this preparation, but many people really like it. My hubby sure does!

And one last thing, don't prepare too many dishes. It's not clear here, but if it's just the four of you for dinner, you will have more then plenty. And uhhh, this sage advice is coming from a gal who ALWAYS makes too much food. LOL!!!!!!