Honored Contributor

Re: question about soups and always having to add additional liquids

@Desertdi wrote:

Do you live in a dry climate?    (I have to refill pet water dishes constantly).

@Desertdi nope a rather moist climate actually. But higher elevation . I wonder if that plays a role?

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

You could cover it so the liquid doesn't evaporate.  When lifting the lid, lift it so the water in the lid drains back into the soup.

@mima yes, I think I will start doing this. Great tip, thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG I was looking online to copy and paste the recipe but the one online doesn't match up with the one on the box. It is Beekman's 7 sisters bean and barley soup. I will try to post the recipe when I get a chance.

Trusted Contributor

@mima wrote:

You could cover it so the liquid doesn't evaporate.  When lifting the lid, lift it so the water in the lid drains back into the soup.

I agree with Mima's suggestion, too, HappyDaze. 

You may already be doing this, but also keep the soup at a lower simmer. That should help, too.

If you're cooking it for a longer period of time, I don't think that it's that unusual for some of the liquid to cook out of it. When that happens, I just taste as I go along anyway, and will add some extra broth or a bit of water.

I try and add any noodles towards the end, so that they don't grab too much of the broth.

I have seen recipe sites that also recommend doing what you're thinking of doing-making the noodles separately, and then adding the noodles in after making the broth/soup, and then adding them/serving them with the soup when you are ready to serve the soup, so that you then don't have the problem of them taking up too much of the broth.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

I can never make soup without having to add alot more water or liquid than the recipe calls for because the liquid all but disappears before the cook time is done. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong since I follow the directions to a "T" and making sure I am simmering and not boiling it.  Am I doing something wrong? Is this what most people have to do?

@HappyDaze

Since you indicate that you "can never make a soup without having to add a lot more water...," I don't think you're dealing with bad recipes.  I have a ton of soup recipes and none has failed me, except when we move and I'm getting used to a new range.  Yes, I might have to add a tick of water or low sodium chicken stock because I added additional ingredients, but would like you to consider the following:

If the recipe calls for you to add a lid to your pot at a certain stage, do it and leave it alone, except to stir occasionally.  You will definitely lose liquid in your soup if you ****** the lid so that there's a slit, which will allow steam, (moisture), to escape your pot and therefore soup.

Another note: keep to the ingredients specified in the recipe - purchasing the best quality you can.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Do you live in a dry climate?    (I have to refill pet water dishes constantly).

@Desertdi nope a rather moist climate actually. But higher elevation . I wonder if that plays a role?

@HappyDaze    High elevation does makes a difference in baking......but I'm only at 1,250'.......so I don't know first-hand.   Hope you find the answer to your challenge. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@HappyDaze    High elevation does makes a difference in baking......but I'm only at 1,250'.......so I don't know first-hand.   Hope you find the answer to your challenge. 

That is about where I am about 1300' so not really that high so it shouldn't make a difference. Most packages indicate recipe changes at more like 3000' or more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative thanks for all the tips! I am working with a crappy range right now so I am hoping once my house is done and I am cooking on my new Wolf rangetop it will help. There is something to be said for a good, evenly distributed cooking surface!

I am pretty bad with adding in additional ingredients-spinach, mushrooms, etc- after I try a recipe once exactly as written but even when I don't do that, I find I have to add the same amount of additional liquid.

Heehee yeah and I am a peeker for sure, lol. But most of the recipes I've used never say to cover the soup, although I will start doing this now and see if that helps a little. I don't mind adding SOME liquid but I will often have to add like a cup or two more!

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sfnative thanks for all the tips! I am working with a crappy range right now so I am hoping once my house is done and I am cooking on my new Wolf rangetop it will help. There is something to be said for a good, evenly distributed cooking surface!

I am pretty bad with adding in additional ingredients-spinach, mushrooms, etc- after I try a recipe once exactly as written but even when I don't do that, I find I have to add the same amount of additional liquid.

Heehee yeah and I am a peeker for sure, lol. But most of the recipes I've used never say to cover the soup, although I will start doing this now and see if that helps a little. I don't mind adding SOME liquid but I will often have to add like a cup or two more!

@HappyDaze

A thought occurred to me after I posted: how about making soup in a crock pot?  There must be recipes around for that device.  (Love that Wolf!)

Respected Contributor

Long, slow cooking of any soup or stew-like food that I know of needs to be baked in the oven  or simmered on the stove in a covered pot.  The same covered-pot rule applies when braising tougher cuts of meat.  Preserving the liquid environment is important.

Good luck with your soup-making!