Trusted Contributor

You may want to buy your canned pumpkin now

I posted this in "Kitchen and Food Talk", but thought "Recipe Swap" people may also want to know.

Remember the pumpkin shortage two years ago? Unless we get some rain (and lots of it), we may have another shortage. Two years ago, it was too much rain, this year it may be not enough.

We live about 40 minutes away from a pumpkin canning plant (there are only two Libby plants that process pumpkin in the USA). If a farmer does not have irrigation, and we don't get rain, the yield is going to be low, which will create a shortage. We drove by several pumpkin fields today and the plants are blossoming, and rain is critical at this time. The plants were drooping and drooping very noticeably.

So, if you have some cherished recipes that you want to make during the holidays, I suggest you purchase the minimum number of cans you need. If we get rain, it won't be a problem, but I would suggest purchasing a few cans now

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta