Frequent Contributor

Has anyone written or put together a collection of recipes? Which program did you use? I am thinking of putting together a cookbook of my favorite recipes, have it printed, give copies to friends. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Writing a cookbook?

[ Edited ]

Miami Spices, I have done several over the years, some just for myself and some for groups who wanted to share favorite recipes, plus some for friends who wanted to pass family recipes along to their children when they married.

I just use Microsoft Word as my software so I can control the style and formatting the way I like it.  I divide the recipes into sections as in a standard cookbook (Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Meats, Poultry, etc.).  I number the pages individually in each section in the format APP-#, SOU-#, MEA-# (in the Footer) so the person using the book can add more recipes later in each section and then write the new pages into the Index.

I make the indexes manually, mainly because I like to use more types of cross references than auto-generated indexes generally allow.  Once the index is done, I put it in columns with Word's Page Layout function.

I have made a few small-format booklet-style which are stapled in the fold, but usually I do 8x11 size pages and put them in a three-ring binder with index tabs for each section.  The binders which allow you to put your own personalized "Cover Sheet" in a plastic pocket on the front and back and spine of the notebook make a really nice presentation. 

I have looked at a few Recipe Collection software packages over the years, but all of them had too many formatting or size restrictions to suit me. 

I've enjoyed every collection I've ever done, and making your own Cookbook is fun, with the understanding that the standard definition of fun is "hard work you enjoy."

Good luck when your tackle your project!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much! This is great information. Plan to start this week.