Respected Contributor

I found this gem saved on my harddrive.  It's hard telling how long it's been there, but tonight was our first--but certainly not last--enjoyment of it.

Winter Herb Pasta 

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter 
5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided 
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped 
1½ cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (preferably from a baguette) 
1 pound dried bucatini or spaghetti 
2 teaspoons chopped sage 
2 teaspoons chopped rosemary 
2 teaspoons chopped thyme 
1 cup chopped parsley 

Heat butter and 1 Tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Cook bread crumbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, stirring, until fragrant and pale golden. Transfer to a bowl, reserving skillet. 

Meanwhile, cook bucatini in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain. 

Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook sage, rosemary, and thyme, stirring, 2 minutes. Add pasta, ½ cup reserved water, and parsley and toss well. Add more water to moisten if necessary. Serve sprinkled with bread crumbs. 

Mrs. G's notes: For just the two of us,  I used only 4 oz of the pasta with the full measurements of every thing else.  I used generous, rounded measurements on the herbs, and added a cowardly pinch of red pepper flakes. Also added a little grated Parm. atop the bread crumb/garlic garnish. As it turned out, though, neither addition was actually necessary.  I also urge you to use the entire cup of pasta cooking water, as, imho, the dish would be too dry without it.

Wine pairing suggestions would be either a Sauvignon Blanc or Merlot.  We chilled a Sauvignon Blanc, and liked it w/the dish quite a lot. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG

Thanks for posting this, and CONGRATS on finding it stashed on your hard drive.  Thanks, as always, too, for Mrs. G's Notes! 

Honored Contributor

Wow @IamMrsG what a great find for all of us . . . thank you my friend!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Winter Herb Pasta

[ Edited ]

RE:  "I found this gem saved on my harddrive.  It's hard telling how long it's been there..."    Well, actually, it isn't  "hard telling" at all.  I right clicked on the recipe name in the file index, then selected 'Properties'.  I created the file in 2013, poor little thing has been sitting there all these years for me to try it.  Woman Embarassed  

At the time, I was not in the habit of noting the the source (as I've since learned to do), but did save helpful comments or reviews.  Many people complained this dish was 'bland,' needing help.  That is why I bolded the need for cooking the pasta in salted water, commented that I used heaping measurements of the herbs and added the pinch of red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.  Of course, decreasing the amount of bucatini by 75% automatically upped the flavor level as well.  Regardless, DH and I oohed and aaahed throughout the meal.  

I shared this recipe with a loved one, who asked whether this was meant to be an entrée or side dish.  We Gs had it as a stand alone meal; however, it could be delicious served with roasted chicken or garlic shrimp.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.