Valued Contributor

Why do they tell us to rinse canned beans?

Surely we lose some good stuff rinsing the beans?

Valued Contributor

Re: Why do they tell us to rinse canned beans?

To get rid of a lot of sodium. I just recently found this out as I was researching how to eat healthier. My DH is pre-diabetic and I found this info on the American Diabetes website. HTH

Respected Contributor

Also to get rid of preservatives if they use them and any grit from the soil. Sometimes a pebble gets in there.

Trusted Contributor

@Nicecupoftea wrote:

Surely we lose some good stuff rinsing the beans?

It will remove the salt that the beans are packed in, for one thing.

Here is a link to Better Homes & Gardens' website, which gives a good explanation for this:

http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/cooking-tips/chili-or-kidney-beans/

They basically recommend draining the beans too, to also get rid of the starchy water that the beans come in, and to eliminate the metallic taste that the beans can pick up from being packed in a can.

I have used recipes though, that recommend keeping the liquid from the canned beans. I think that it's recommended as a thickening liquid, and probably for nutritious reasons, as you are thinking. 

Honored Contributor

I always rinse canned beans to cut down on the salt.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Drink some of the juice & report back in several hours. Hee

Yeah, they don't affectionately call it 'fart water' for nothing!

All the little bubbles are starch residue which, when eaten, can't digest causing uncomfortable gas. Of course, the reduction of sodium is noted, as well.

Though, the latest internet sensation is "Aquafaba".

It's the liquid from garbanzo beans (chickpeas).

People have been using this liquid, whipping it up with sugar to make meringue desserts.  Basically Aquafaba is an egg replacement.

I've never tried it but pInterest, Facebook & blogs are filled with ideas.

Google "Aquafaba" for more info.

Super Contributor

To add to the list.....excuse my crudeness.... it gets rid of the, um, "musical" part of the bean. Smiley Wink

No really. The naturally ocurring enzyme in beans which give them their muscial abiltiy, is released in the can since beans are cooked in the can. Rinsing the drained beans will demish greatly the enzyme that you consume.

I always drain and rinse my beans, and not a note is played later. Smiley Very Happy 

Respected Contributor

I've never read the instructions on a can of beans, so I didn't realize you should rinse them.  Good to know!  I don't eat many canned beans anyway, although I never have gotten gas when I did.  Some of us are more evolved than others, digestively speaking, I guess.  Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

I rinse the beans as well as any veggie in a can too. Too much sodium in the liquid of most things.

Honored Contributor

We always rinse beans. Gets rid of some sodium also that yucky sludgey stuff. My dad won't eat canned grean beans unless they are rinsed first. He said they taste a lot better.