Honored Contributor

Who wants to brag about their turkey

i need some ideas from all of you on how to get my turkey to brown and be moist.I just can't seem to get both.I will be doing another turkey for Christmas and would love to make it moist and beautiful..thanks for your suggestions.I don't want to brine because I tried that once and it was watery and salty.

Honored Contributor

Re: Who wants to brag about their turkey

[ Edited ]

@dex

I'm sorry if yours don't turn out... here is the way I do it... it is just about the only thing I know how to cook please see the OP in the thread... I posted pix of my recipe...

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/How-to-roast-a-turkey-on-tap-for-now-if-you-want/m-p/2333630#M11...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I always use the bags with a little butter or oil rubbed on the top with a few seasonings.  I remove the bag or just cut it open in the last half hour and it's already browned a little; opening the bag finishes it off nicely with a bit of a crispy brown outside and seals in the juices.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I have never heard of using flour on the breast...does it flake off when you carve it?

Honored Contributor

I do not put stuffing in my turkey.  I make it separate.  I stuff 3 apples (do not peel or core, just remove stem) and this will make the turkey moist and cut some of the "wild" poultry taste.

First start your turkey off by turning it breast side down and let the back brown and then turn over for the remainder of the time to brown chest.  Or, you can cook it chest down (which makes it more tender, but you will have to fixate it somehow) and then when you turn it over, turn  the broiler on it for about 3-5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I like the apple idea because I think the moisture rising up into the meat would help.Do you put butter under the skin?I saw this on a recipe site but wondered if that would cause the skin to break and dry out the meat for sure.

Honored Contributor

I use a little oil under the skin but butter burns so fast and causes dry out because of the burn.  I use either oliver or coconut oil whichever I happen to reach for first.

Honored Contributor

@dex

It is a "paste" you make from flour and butter... it "meshes" in with the skin and no, it does not flake off.

DD cooked her first turkey yesterday (with cooked sausage in the stuffing) and here is a picture of it:

DD first turkey.jpg

So, she did use the "paste" and yes, it does blend in with the skin to make a luscious-tasting and pretty brown skin!

Honored Contributor

@dex

Have not tried the butter under the skin...

first, brown the crusty turkey at 450*

Then, baste, baste, baste (as the recipe shows)  can never baste too much!

Then, the most succulent turkey includes stuffing to give it added moisture and flavor.  

Honored Contributor

I am going to try this as it is the most unusual recipe I have ever seen and your daughters turkey was picture perfect.