Respected Contributor

Is it imperative that I use a metal bowl and whipping utensil?  I know to place the bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes prior to whipping.  Don't own a metal mixing bowl and really don't want to purchase one - but I will if I have to.

Any suggestions as to what you use to whip cream?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Valued Contributor

It's not essential to use a metal bowl. I put the carton of whipped cream in the freezer for a short time before I whip it, so it is extra cold. I think the coldness of the beater or whisk and the cream will give you the product that you want. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much.  I'll use a metal whisk - have plenty of mixing bowls.  I will place them all in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Respected Contributor

The last few years I've been using my food processor to whip cream, takes a minute or so, watch closely or you'll end up with butter

Honored Contributor

Small DEEP glass or metal bowl

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

if you have a Vitamix, it will whip cream quickly. Watch out or you will end up with butter!

Respected Contributor

Throw it in a bowl and turn the mixer on?   I've never done anything special.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Thanks so much.  I'll use a metal whisk - have plenty of mixing bowls.  I will place them all in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

@pommom

Using a metal whisk to get this done requires LOTS of muscle!  I'd only use a metal whisk, if also using a chilled copper bowl.  Do you have a hand-held mixer?  This will do the job for you.

(Still have my hand mixer, which was a wedding gift, nearly 48 year ago.  It continues to work like a charm!)

Respected Contributor

Using a metal whisk to get this done requires LOTS of muscle! I'd only use a metal whisk, if also using a chilled copper bowl. Do you have a hand-held mixer? This will do the job for you.

(Still have my hand mixer, which was a wedding gift, nearly 48 year ago. It continues to work like a charm!)

Yes, I have a hand mixer and will gladly use it in place of a metal whisk.  Thanks for the time-saving tip!

Honored Contributor

In the 50 years I've been cooking, I never once chilled anything to whip cream and never has it not turned out. The cream is cold from the refer is all and I have used plastic, ceramic,metal bowls all with the same result--whipped cream. Too much thinking going into this. Now meringue is a whole different thing.