Respected Contributor

Re: What do you have trouble with baking or cooking?? And your strong points,

I'm much more into baking than cooking. My downfall? Pie crust.

As for cooking, I cannot make decent gravy.

Super Contributor

Hi! Britt, hope all is well with you and LilBit.

I would say for me it is lamb and pie crust. I have tried and tried on the lamb. My darling MIL (RIP) made the best lamb. We loved going home to Portland because that was usually our request for our first meal home. Pie crust, well I figure that is what Village Inn is for. (grin) Kathy

Honored Contributor

I do not enjoy baking at all.

I LOVE to cook. I am always trying new recipes and tastes. I usually take a couple of cooking classes every year. I always try for healthy cooking. Tried a new salmon recipe last night using fennel and tomatoes. It was OK but not good enough to keep or post. I try for at least one new recipe a week.

Super Contributor

Fun thread, Brit.

My downfall is preparing fish; It is either too flaky or too wet, and the skin might stick, or whatever else could happen will happen when I fix it. It's supposed to be such a simple thing. I strongly suspect that I only do really well with the things I really love to eat, and fish is not my very favorite, although I do try.

I'm not much of a baker, but do get good bread from my breadmaker. I'm not really crazy about pies and not very good at making pie dough and I think it's because I'm not a pie fan. But I do like cake and don't seem to have a problem with them.

I do like the big special occasion meals and have enjoyed cooking them for years; I like the fun it brings to friends and family.

One of the most fun things in my cooking life began when I finally started making soups from scratch. I love flavorful, often spicy, soups and stews and make them often. I love salads and sandwiches, too, so enjoy the many varieties. These are all easy things.

And we like Mexican, Italian, and Thai food, too. My 'repertoire' is limited, but tasty and brings a lot of pleasure to all of us.

So, I think I'm a good cook yet not a master in any category. But I've always found a successful way to make what I love to eat.

Super Contributor

I cannot make yeast rolls--I've tried. I'm a failure--they could be weapons. A dear older lady took me under wing, walked me step by step, and we made great homemade bread. Once.

My strong point--I can copy well. Just don't ask me to do it from scratch. Although, I have done that. I learned from a mother who hardly ever used a recipe. Depression era mother. A dash of this, a pinch of that, eyeball measurements. And everything was great.

I do have to say--I love Recipe Swap. There are some good cooks and good people on this forum, and just reading the recipes makes me salivate. People are so helpful.

Contributor

I do not do anything that requires a rolling pin or kneading. I can cook for a large group but struggle with cooking just for 2.

Super Contributor

I am really looking forward to reading through this thread later when I have time. I'm not joking when I say that my biggest problem in the kitchen is portioning. I cannot judge what is a normal portion. I never think recipe portions are adequate for serving guests and I always make too much food.

Honored Contributor

Pie crust, or edible ones are a foreign concept, lol. I've been doing a lot of baking with a sour dough starter with excellent results.

Trusted Contributor

Well..........my 1st post went "poof"........NOW...........I can bake breads with no problems, and bake in general, as it is just that I generally do not eat what I bake, but others tell me how much they like what I bake, so I go by that.....and can cook a lot, and really well, and do not stress over crowds, and it does not "freak me out"........{#emotions_dlg.w00t} I can do a big Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner for a crowd in just a couple of days notice........BUT.......I can not make a pie crust.......I use the old method, or the food processor method, with cold butter, and ice water, or Crisco, and no matter what I do, the crust always shrinks, and just makes for a messy pie..........{#emotions_dlg.crying} I can not even bake with a pie crust in the ready rolled out version.........but can only make a pie with frozen pie crust........{#emotions_dlg.huh} Trust me......I have tried so many things, and homemade pie crust will just seem to never be in my repertoire...................{#emotions_dlg.sad}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

I don't bake and don't make many things requiring a recipe. I don't have any trouble at all with the things I cook.

In other words, I don't enjoy cooking much and keep things pretty simple.