Respected Contributor

Vegetarian casserole recipes anyone?

Does anyone know a super simple casserole recipie even those that hate cooking  can make?  I particularly like zuccini.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Vegetarian casserole recipes anyone?

Lisa posted her recipe back in March on her blog.

http://lisarobertson.com/wordpress/?p=195

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

You can purchase precooked eggplant slices at some grocery stores. Open a jar of sauce and some shredded or sliced mozzarella and parmesan - bake it until bubbly and brown and you've got yourself eggplant parmesan.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

When I first saw this I was not impressed but it is really delicious.  Can't figure out the broccoli unless it is meant to hide it!

Broccoli Corn Bake

Ingredients

• ½ C      1 ½ cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
  • 2 T      3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 C      2 ½ cups frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
  • 1 sm   1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 sm   1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn

Directions

• 1. In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs and butter; set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Stir in vegetables to the remaining crumb mixture.
  • 2. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Lisa posted her recipe back in March on her blog.

http://lisarobertson.com/wordpress/?p=195

I need to lookout for those kind of vegetable  cutters. I found recently I like zuccini and need a creative way to cook it and that actually looked so good

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a very easy vegetarian dish that's hearty and made in a slow cooker.  It makes a lot but also freezes well.  I added about a pound of diced rutabagas and some diced butternut squash that I needed to use before it spoiled.  I also added a package of Trader Joe's Frozen Brown Rice in it near the completion time.  So good with a hearty bread.

Chickpea Sweet Potato Curry Casserole with Apples (Low Salt)

Source: LowSaltVegDudes on You Tube

Ingredients

* 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas

* 2 cups coconut milk

* 1-1/2 cups water (I substituted veggie broth)

* 2 small red onions, chopped

* 3 - 4 large sweet potatoes, diced

* 2 large Granny Smith apples, diced

* 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced

* 1/2 tsp ginger (I added fresh grated ginger)

* 2 TBS curry

* 2 tsp dried mustard

* 2 tsp cumin

* 1 tsp turmeric

* 1/4 tsp allspice

(I found at Costco's a wonderful 12oz container of Simply Asia's Sweet Ginger Garlic Seasoning that has toasted/black sesame seeds, red bell peppers, toasted coconut, onion, low amount of sodium, among a few other things, that really enhances the taste of this dish).

Directions

1) Mix all of the ingredients into a slow cooker crock (mine was 6 qrts). Cover.

2) Cook for 6 hours on low, check potatoes for tenderness. If they are soft curry is ready, if the potatoes are still a little hard continue cooking and re-check every half hour or so till they are tender. 

Can be served as is or over rice. 

Frequent Contributor

Made the broccoli corn bake and loved it. Generally just do the 2 kinds of corn, saltines, and milk but really liked the change up. Thkx for sharing Zhills. Will b a regular side dish. 

Respected Contributor

Zucchini Casserole

6 med zucchini, thinly sliced

1 onion, chopped

1 large tomato, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

2 cups shredded mozzarella or Jack cheese

1 tsp Italian herbs

1Tblspn olive oil

1 tsp salt or garlic salt

fresh ground pepper to taste

saute tomato, zucchini, garlic and onion in olive oil till sort of tender ( HOW tender is personal preference)... Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings...in 3x9 dish, layer veggies with cheese, 2 or 3 layers, ending with cheese Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes...I like to add some parm or Romano before serving...

Esteemed Contributor

@Jerri E 

I have another recipe for Broccoli-Corn given to me by my BIL.  It is supposed to be a family favorite.  Hard to beat the other one if you want my opinion.  Here it is.......

Broccoli – Corn Bake

1 16 oz can cream style corn

1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped broccoli (cook & drain)

1 egg, beaten

¾ Cup coarse saltine cracker crumbs

1 Tbsp instant onion, minced

2 Tbsp butter

½ tsp salt

Dash pepper

Combine corn, broccoli (cooked), egg and ½ C cracker crumbs, onion, with 2 T of melted butter, salt & pepper. Turn into 1 qt casserole.

Combine the other 1/4  C cracker crumbs and remaining butter. Sprinkle over veggie mixture.

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 35-40 mins.

Not sure what the "instant onion" is.  Maybe you know!  I would use 1/4 tsp onion powder?

One day I will try this one also.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz

I don't cook with a lot of recipes, per se, but I do eat a variety of foods.  I eat gluten free, so one of my favorite things to do is use the brown rice tortillas and make layered casseroles, or lasagnas.  

They tend to break, so I don't get to use them for enchiladas and burritos, but they work well in this.

I use a cast iron skillet and make many layers.  Last night's dinner, for example, was tortillas, zuchinni, red pepper, shallot, fresh spinach, merlot cheese, and pesto sauce.  We shredded everything in the food processor, drained out the water from the veggies, and mixed the veggies together.  We added half a pound of ground chicken, which you would omit.  This was sort of an Italian style casserole, baked at 350 for 30 minutes.  I oil the bottom of the skillet, and build layers with the tortilla, veggie mix, cheese, and next layer of tortilla, veggie mix, and cheese.  

We often do this with Mexican ingredients: refried beans or black beans, corn, sometimes brown rice, tomatoes, scallions, red peppers, etc.  It's a great way to use up what you have in the refrigerator.