Regular Contributor

Today I bought my first beef brisket with pack of spice attached. Help!

What is the best way to cook it??? Thank you {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today I bought my first beef brisket with pack of spice attached. Help!

Hi: I was gonna suggest that you sprinkle the spices over it, wrap it in foil and bake in oven (about 350) for at least 2 hours - but I don't know the size.

I went to Cooks.com and typed in beef brisket and there are a whole lot of links to tell you how long to cook it. I know brisket has to be slow cooked - otherwise it's very tough.

Go to cooks.com or allrecipes.com and you'll see everything you need to know.

Good luck.......

Valued Contributor

is it a corned beef? There should be directions on it, if so, and you should braise it. If not, then cooking it in a slow oven covered is the way I have cooked briskets. But if it came with a seasoning packet, it sounds like a corned beef.

Honored Contributor

Place in a stock pot covered with water - cut off as much fat as possible first then add the contents of the spice packet. cook til tender - probably 3 to 4 hours. Then place it on a cookie sheet with foil on the cookie sheet - put dijon mustard on it and place under the broiler til it browns. Slice and eat.You can cook cabbage, potatoes and carrots in the water with the meat and have a New England boiled dinner (corn beef and cabbage).

Respected Contributor

Hi Snugglebunny. I just made a brisket today. I put mine in the crockpot with seasonings and cook for 4 or 5 hours. It is like braising to make it tender. When it is done, I remove the layer of fat on the one side and enjoy it. Some folks like to smoke / barbecue it which tastes delicious. You have to cook it a long time so that it is tender. Hth
Esteemed Contributor

If you have a crock pot you can put it in (fat side up), cover with potatoes, carrots, celery and a packet of beef stew seasoning (or whatever you like) and cook it all day.

I did that a long time ago and it was so tender, it practically fell apart......

You can also cook it on the stove in a skillet (fat side up) and add potatoes, etc..... on a low setting for at least 2-3 hours.... Add a pkg. of seasoning.

Esteemed Contributor

Boy, we all jumped on that like white on rice... LOLOL

Trusted Contributor

This is a good reason to own an electric pressure cooker. Great results and super easy-best corned beef, ever!

Super Contributor

On 8/9/2014 lacey1 said:

This is a good reason to own an electric pressure cooker. Great results and super easy-best corned beef, ever!

I totally agree with you! Fast, easy, and yummy! Smile

Super Contributor

If you want to make corned beef and cabbage, may I offer you the recipe I use for mine.

Ingredients:

1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket with

spice packet

1 medium onion, cut into wedges

10 baby red potatoes

5 carrots, cut into 2" chunks

2-4 stalks celery, cut into 2" chunks

3 cups beer (or enough to cover meat)

6 garlic cloves, minced

1 bay leaf

2 tablespoons cider vinegar *optional

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges

Directions:

1. In the bottom of your slow cooker, first put garlic and onion. Place meat on top.

2. Pour beer over to cover meat.

3. Add vinegar (if using), spice packet, bay leaf and pepper.

4. Place potatoes, then carrots, then celery over brisket.

5. Cover and cook on high until it starts simmering, then turn to low.

6. Cook for 6-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage wedges in the last hour of cooking time.

7. Remove bay leaf before serving.

*also optional - 2 tsp. sugar. If you use this, add at step 3. I prefer brown sugar. It doesn't make it sweet, just cuts any bitterness.