Honored Contributor

Think I'll do a different meal for Thanksgiving this year.

I just feel like shaking it up a bit. We'll all still get together. Husband mentioned he liked the ham we got for one other holiday from the Q so we'll probably need to order that soon. We've now found out how much we like sweet potatoes. So I think, I'll be searching now for some recipes to use sweet potatoes that goes really well with ham.

So come one come all and fill us in on your favorite sweet potato recipe. Thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Think I'll do a different meal for Thanksgiving this year.

[ Edited ]

novamc  Re: Fall starch side dish to serve with ribs  

Sweet potatoes have been looking fairly good in the market today. One way I always used to fix them was to boil them for a short time, just to the point that the peelings come off easily, slice them about 1/2-inch to 1 inch thick, layer them or lay them flat in a casserole dish, lightly salt them and brush with butter and a little brown sugar and bake.

These look "pretty" enough for guests. For at-home cooking these days, I just wash the sweet potatoes, let them dry, rub with oil an hour or two before baking, and bake until they are so tender that they're actually bubbling out of their skins. Served with butter and a little salt, these are one of my husband's favorites.

Hi QualityGal, novamc posted this under the "Fall starch side dishes..." thread.

I thought they sounded easy & DELISH!

Thanks novamc!

Valued Contributor

Crispy Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes {recipe}

Crispy Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
(recipe source: comfortsofcooking.com)

My father-in-laws favorite! These are super easy and quite tasty and I've never really been a huge fan of sweet potatoes. Plus, it makes a beautiful presentation.

3 Tablespoons butter, melted

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary, or 1/2 tsp. fresh
3 lbs. (3-4 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 shallot, peeled and sliced thinly
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine melted butter, oil and crushed rosemary in a small bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of butter-oil mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange potato slices vertically in the dish. Add a sliver of shallot between every few slices of potato. Brush top with remaining butter-oil mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Cover dish with foil and roast for 1 hour, covered, until potatoes are tender (If your potato slices are thicker than shown, you may need to increase cooking time). Increase oven heat to 450 degrees F. Remove foil and roast another 10-15 minutes, until tops of potatoes are browned and crisp.

Serves 4

Honored Contributor

I just recently discovered how wonderful fresh sweet potatoes are (as opposed to those things in a can)! We are eating them on a regular basis, and was interested to learn that they are a good carbs for people with diabetic issues, as they release the carbs slowly.

I have mixed it up on holiday meals sometimes for years now. I know some think that a turkey on this holiday or a ham on that one are just mandatory, but I gave that up a long time ago. Sometimes we still do the traditional, but often we just don't anymore. We usually only have 4 of us here on a holiday, so it isn't like there are a lot of folks to complain about the change!

Have fun doing something different, and I often opt for something easier than all the work that accompanies a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Respected Contributor

I bake the potatoes, scoop out the potato, whip with butter and a little orange juice - keep them fluffy and not too wet.  Cut oranges in half, scoop out the meat of the orange, fill the orange halves with the potato mixture, sprinkle with coconut, bake just to heat through, top with a maraschino cherry. Delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

Browned Butter Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients

5 lbs sweet potatoes

• 1/2 cup salted butter, diced into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk

Topping

• 2 1/4 cups crushed corn flakes (begin with about 5 cups and crush to about 2 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used pre-chopped pecan chips to save time)
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, diced into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 cups miniature marshmallows

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork and transfer to a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake about 1 hour, or until very tender when pierced with a fork. Meanwhile brown 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally (for stages of browning butter see notes below).

• Remove potatoes from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350. Cut each in half and scoop out flesh into a large mixing bowl. Mash potatoes with a potato masher. Pour in 1/2 cup browned butter, using a rubber spatula to scrape excess butter from pan, add granulated sugar, 1/4 cup light-brown sugar and salt then using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, blend together until well combine. Add in eggs and mix until well blended, then pour in milk and mix until well blended. Pour mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 baking dish and spread into an even layer.
  • Brown remaining 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Pour crushed cornflakes into a mixing bowl, along with chopped pecans and 1/4 cup light-brown sugar and mix to combine. Pour browned butter over mixture and toss to evenly coat. Spread mixture into diagonal rows over mashed sweet potato mixture leaving about a 1 1/2-inch gap between rows. Bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and spread marshmallows between rows of corn flake topping. Return to oven and bake until marshmallows are lightly golden about 8 - 12 minutes (I didn't brown mine much because I like the contrast of color between the white of the marshmallow and golden brown of the corn flake topping). Serve warm. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
  • Stages of browning butter: butter will first melt, it will become lemony yellow and after a minute or two it will begin to splatter a bit, then it will foam and begin to smell nutty, then little brown specks will begin to appear in the center of the golden foamy bubbles - this is when you remove it from heat. I wait just a few seconds for a generous amount of specs maybe a 2-inch circle before removing from heat. Color wise it should go from a yellow, to golden tan, to an orange-y toasty golden brown. I personally like to push it to the limit before removing from heat to get a really nice browned flavor, be sure you don't take it off too early while also not waiting too long.

Honored Contributor

oh!!!! these are great ladies and I'm copying these!!! Thanks so much! It's so good to know someone else is shaking up this meal too! Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our favorite:

Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 long strip orange peel
  • 1/3 cup bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1 3 to 4 inch cinnamon stick
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 large sweet potatoes

Preparation

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake at 400° for one hour, until potatoes are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly then remove skin from potatoes.  
Reduce oven temperature to 350°. While the potatoes are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.   Slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick into a medium casserole dish. Pour syrup over them and return to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.   Tip: To make this dish faster, bake potatoes the night before, leave skin on and throw in the refrigerator until ready to use.

**NOTE** - If you're in a time crunch, I've used this recipe with canned sweet potatoes and the frozen sweet potato slices and it's just as good! 

You can also leave out the bourbon (gasp!) and use water instead, but the alcohol cooks off anyway and the flavor is delish!

I also add chopped pecans on top when it goes into the oven.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

• LoLa, this sounds so good. I am a fan of savory sweet potatoes. I definitely will be making this. I usually make them with sauteed peppers and onions. I also will do the idea from funkyhulagirl....top a baked sweet potato with bbq.  This recipe you shared will be a big hit with people who don't  prefer using sugar.
Regular Contributor

Living in the south, always loved sweet potatoes and or yams. I just coat/rub the whole potato with vegetable oil or olive oil and bake at 400-425 until it's very soft inside (an hour or more depending on the size, turning over once or twice). Cool for a little while and The skin peels right off. I don't use any topping/butter etc because it's sweet in its natural state. Simple and very tasty...