Valued Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

Cilantro without a doubt. I am not too big on a lot of red sauce either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

It's really 2:

Liver

Eggplant

Ick!

@sfnative ah eggplant another vegetable I tried to like but failed . . . a lovely italian grocery store by me offers breaded eggplant which I happily bought and then unfortunately did not enjoy . . . now as for liver my mom used to make the very best liver dumpling soup which I miss to this day . . . Heart

@momtochloe

I will admit to having lieberknudel soup (sp?)  Liver-noodle soup in Austria and it was wonderful.  Didn't taste like liver at all.

My dislike of liver arose from my mother simply slapping it in a pan, frying it, then slapping it on a plate and saying, "Eat it."  Gagged on it every time.  Was made to eat every bite.  When she cut rounds of eggplant, she dipped it in egg then flour and would fry until a slimey mess.  I would gag on this as well, but was made to sit and eat every darn piece, whether I liked it or not.

So, there is really negative history behind my dislikes.

Honored Contributor

Shellfish allergy, but my automatic replacement is chicken.  Works in just about every recipe.

Can't stand okra, green olives, anchovies  or sardines.  ugh

Respected Contributor

I love food, so I do read the whole recipe before I judge it. I also look for recipes for things that I can't get locally in my rural area, which makes recipes with those things hard to make.
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Cilantro

@AuntG I used to feel the same way about cilantro.  If I had food, mainly salsa, that had cilantro in it, it was like I was eating soap, and I never added it to a recipe that called for it.

I didn't taste cilantro for a few years, and, inexplicably, the next time I had a food with it I liked it!  So weird, but now I can munch on it by itself.

Honored Contributor

How about the title?  I can't stand the smell of buffalo sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am vegan but I don't let meat/animal product ingredients stop me from reading a recipe that sounds good to see if there is something I can substitute or leave out.  What does stop me is a long list of ingredients that I would have to purchase for one recipe that I may or may not ever use again, mainly spices, and they are too expensive to do much experimenting with.

I may buy one new ingredient, or two if the recipe sounds intriguing, but I don't like looking at my spices and seeing all those wasted purchases!

Same goes for fresh herbs.  When a recipe calls for 2 tablespoons or a small amount of a fresh herb, I usually leave it out because most of it will go to waste, since I am cooking for one.  If I have the dried equivalent, I will use that.  The exception is cilantro; I love it and it always adds great flavor to recipes and I am likely to use it again with something else.

Respected Contributor

Cabbage 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

It's really 2:

Liver

Eggplant

Ick!

@sfnative ah eggplant another vegetable I tried to like but failed . . . a lovely italian grocery store by me offers breaded eggplant which I happily bought and then unfortunately did not enjoy . . . now as for liver my mom used to make the very best liver dumpling soup which I miss to this day . . . Heart

@momtochloe

I will admit to having lieberknudel soup (sp?)  Liver-noodle soup in Austria and it was wonderful.  Didn't taste like liver at all.

My dislike of liver arose from my mother simply slapping it in a pan, frying it, then slapping it on a plate and saying, "Eat it."  Gagged on it every time.  Was made to eat every bite.  When she cut rounds of eggplant, she dipped it in egg then flour and would fry until a slimey mess.  I would gag on this as well, but was made to sit and eat every darn piece, whether I liked it or not.

So, there is really negative history behind my dislikes.

@sfnative I think this recipe may be the closest to my mom's (the rest have marjoram which I do not recall seeing in my mom's cabinets):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/30782/liver-dumplings/

I always loved when she made liver dumpling soup but was young enough not to connect liver to the dish so to speak.  I was the youngest of four so I didn't have the force feedings of things that were "good for you" although my parents did have a very spirited discussion of whether or not I was going to eat the crust of my toast one morning . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother saying once that my grandmother hated cloves  and if she was reading recipes or magazines, as soon as she saw cloves, she turned the page.  

For me, I have been trying to think of what ingredient I pass on and I just read cabbage and that it definitely it for me.

For most recipes, I just swap it out or leave it out, if it's an ingredient I don't like. But you really can't get around cabbage.

I think my cabbage phobia is from my mother making corned beef and cabbage growing up and that cabbage makes the whole house stink.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN