Honored Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness!  I'm just watching 'The Kitchen' for this week and  one thing in a recipe is canned peas!    

NO!!  just no.  I love pretty much any veg but canned peas are nasty.  Some canned veg isn't all that bad but canned peas and canned asparagus are just terrible.

I agree that frozen veg is often a good choice.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ChynnaBlue and @RespectLife

I guess I worded that wrong.  More like, I'll be looking at a recipe and come across that one ingredient and it's kinda like "oh, ya lost me"!

A single ingredient doesn't usually stop me, but too many ingredients or too much prep time will.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh my goodness!  I'm just watching 'The Kitchen' for this week and  one thing in a recipe is canned peas!    

NO!!  just no.  I love pretty much any veg but canned peas are nasty.  Some canned veg isn't all that bad but canned peas and canned asparagus are just terrible.

@chickenbutt have you ever tried Le Sueur peas?  They were the only canned vegetable my mom would allow in the house and they were delicious in her lamb stew.  To be honest, I don't think I would enjoy them by themselves but they are quite good in a stew.

Esteemed Contributor

Mushrooms....unless I can tell rather quickly that the recipe would work without them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

It's really 2:

Liver

Eggplant

Ick!

Honored Contributor

mtc wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt have you ever tried Le Sueur peas?  They were the only canned vegetable my mom would allow in the house and they were delicious in her lamb stew.  To be honest, I don't think I would enjoy them by themselves but they are quite good in a stew.

Hey Chloe's Mom!  I haven't tried them, but I have heard about them.  They must be on another level from the average canned peas.

The canned peas they used in that recipe on the show were clearly just some generic canned peas.  They had that grey-green color and just looked  mushy.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

.sour creme.  well if its cooked in something then fine but not like it is just out of container.the funny part is when i was younger i love it. would put it all over a baked potato. now the taste and smell makes me want to vomit even certain brands of grated cheese. if  not real grated cheese no way.  i know alot of brands add whay in the cheese as a filler. yuk.

Respected Contributor

yup. never hurd of it.

Respected Contributor

my wife is like that. if she see cilantro in something she moves on . and sage. if its in there no way.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

It's really 2:

Liver

Eggplant

Ick!

@sfnative ah eggplant another vegetable I tried to like but failed . . . a lovely italian grocery store by me offers breaded eggplant which I happily bought and then unfortunately did not enjoy . . . now as for liver my mom used to make the very best liver dumpling soup which I miss to this day . . . Heart