Frequent Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

Great question!!  Cream cheese -- total yuck

Respected Contributor

Any ingredient I would only use once for that recipe.

Regular Contributor

Any type of organ meat--however I love liver&onions--olives, anchovies/paste, coconut.  Many recipes I found can be altered with some ingredients being omitted or substituted.  Used to hate avocados but now use them frequently, but mixed with something else.

Honored Contributor

Veal, but that's not exactly an ingredient.

Also, any recipe that calls for more than one type of fresh herb. I don't have a garden, they cost a fortune and go bad quickly. If I can't substitute something else, then the recipe is a no-go.

Nuts.  I like them but can't eat them and DH hates them.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue and @RespectLife

I guess I worded that wrong.  More like, I'll be looking at a recipe and come across that one ingredient and it's kinda like "oh, ya lost me"!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@chickenbutt your post seriously made me laugh out loud!  I can see that you would think of egg salad as the "grossest thing on the planet", tee hee hee, since you dislike both eggs and mayonnaise.  Egg salad sandwiches are one of my favorite foods.  

I promise that if you ever find yourself on the East Coast, you can have lunch at my house and I WILL NOT serve that to you!  Woman LOL

Oh @Citrine1 can I have @chickenbutt's seat at the table as I could eat egg salad all day long . . . love it for breakfast on a toasted english muffin with maybe a slice of swiss cheese melted over it and then we are off to the races for the rest of the day! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Allergy to blueberries and raspberries.Can't eat them at all. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really appreciate that this thread has pretty much stayed fun and without people being attacked.

I had to learn, on this board, that you can't question a recipe posted or say anything like 'I wouldn't use Cool whip but wonder if I can substitute - etc' because people take that stuff personally.

So, where i ended up if I was reading a recipe here and there was something that I found unappealing was just to shut my trap and back out of it.

Granted, I'm as food-picky and food-neurotic as probably anybody (ever, in the history of time. hehe).  But I like having this discussion without judgment.  Smiley Happy

Chloe's Mom - I still like ya!  Heart   You should see me when that which I won't mention comes into my atmosphere.  Seriously - I had a boss who would come in and sit near me, pull this thing out of his lunch and start eating it.  Well, I would have to run to the bathroom and vomit every time.  I finally told him (and he knew it was making me sick - he just had that kind of creepy sense of humor that found it funny) that if he does that again I will vomit RIGHT HERE and then leave for him to clean it up.  Fortunately, he heeded my advice.  Smiley Happy   yay, a win for the freak.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

@chickenbutt your post seriously made me laugh out loud!  I can see that you would think of egg salad as the "grossest thing on the planet", tee hee hee, since you dislike both eggs and mayonnaise.  Egg salad sandwiches are one of my favorite foods.  

I promise that if you ever find yourself on the East Coast, you can have lunch at my house and I WILL NOT serve that to you!  Woman LOL

Oh @Citrine1 can I have @chickenbutt's seat at the table as I could eat egg salad all day long . . . love it for breakfast on a toasted english muffin with maybe a slice of swiss cheese melted over it and then we are off to the races for the rest of the day! . . . Smiley Happy

Absolutely @momtochloe.  You are welcome anytime!!

Honored Contributor

@cookie5 wrote:

Canned vegetables.  Fresh or frozen please.

@cookie5,You know the well loved green bean casserole?  I couldn't take the can flavor in the green beans and made it with frozen French green beans.  Amazing!