Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried Teff?

This is a new one on me.  I was reading a HuffPo article this morning on superfoods most people don't eat.

Teff or Tef or Tff is a species of lovegrass native to Ethiopia, domesticated 8000 years BC.

"Eragrostis tef has an attractive nutrition profile, being high in dietary fiber and iron and providing protein and calcium. It is similar to millet and quinoa in cooking, but the seed is much smaller and cooks faster, thus using less fuel."

Typical foods made from Teff are shown here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/25/teff-grain-superfood_n_5526417.html

Honored Contributor

Re: TEFF: The New Superfood ?

Teff

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Noel7.  That was enlightening for me.

Honored Contributor

Hi @GATORGIRL  Smiley Happy

I wonder how people are using it.  I am seriously anemic and it's supposed to be loaded with iron.

I wonder if you can just sprinkle it on cereal, I do that with flax and chia seeds.

Honored Contributor

7 Teff Recipes

Including porridge, banana bread, chili, herb roasted tomatoes, teff burgers, brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

Teff is said to have a nutty flavor.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/life/7-tremendous-teff-recipes-to-try-today.html/?a=viewall

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

Hi, @Noel7.  I wonder if there is anyone who has used teff before who could share experiences?  It certainly seems promising.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @GATORGIRL,  those look wonderful, including both savory and sweet recipes!

Luckily, we have a lot of stores around here that carry Bob's Red Mill products, I hope I can find teff Smiley Happy  I think it also comes already ground, in flour form, also.

Honored Contributor

@GATORGIRL wrote:

Hi, @Noel7.  I wonder if there is anyone who has used teff before who could share experiences?  It certainly seems promising.

@GATORGIRL

If I can find it, I'm going to make the porridge.  That may not be exciting, but I'll know the flavor, lol.

I figure a bowl of that a week would be a powerhouse of nutrients, especially IRON!  Smiley Happy

You and I have certainly learned a lot this afternoon!

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@GATORGIRL wrote:

@GATORGIRL

If I can find it, I'm going to make the porridge.  That may not be exciting, but I'll know the flavor, lol.

I figure a bowl of that a week would be a powerhouse of nutrients, especially IRON!  Smiley Happy

You and I have certainly learned a lot this afternoon!

@Noel7

Speaking of porridge:

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/banana-almond-teff-porridge/