Valued Contributor

I'm not a huge fan of Cool Whip (for numerous reasons). So after some searching and experimenting, I’ve finally found a better alternative. With this recipe, it doesn’t get watery, and holds its stiff shape, I would say, even better then Cool Whip. And tastes much much better, and it’s nice to know you’re not eating chemicals. It’s great for decorating cakes, cupcakes, pies, anything that uses Cool Whip really.

Substitute for Cool Whip

1.5 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

2 tablespoons of ice-cold water

1.5 cups cold heavy whipping cream

1/4-1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place mixing bowl and whisk in freezer for at least 15 minutes. Add water and gelatin in a small bowl, mix, and let sit for a minute. Add mixture to double boiler and stir constantly over low heat until gelatin dissolves and liquifies. Or place in microwave for 30 seconds or until it liquifies. Take off heat and let cool for a minute.(Don't allow it to set)

Add heavy cream to the slightly frozen mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for a minute. Add vanilla and sugar, whisk for another minute. Add gelatin mixture slowly while whisking. Whisk for another minute, until cream holds its shape.

Makes: 3 cups

Honored Contributor

Re: Substitute for Cool Whip

I will not eat or use Cool Whip either. I usually just discount any recipe that mentions it. This is definitely worth a try. I had heard before that some bakeries use gelatin in fillings.

Honored Contributor

does anyone remember Dream Whip? I saw this at the store the other day and didn't even know it was still around.....wonder if it is better than Cool Whip; I don't buy it either.

Super Contributor

I still use Dream Whip as it gives great texture to boxed cake mixes - just add an envelope of DW and four instead of three eggs. I also make a root beer cake - the topping is DW made with root beer instead of milk.

Super Contributor

LOLA this is what I'd call a flavored stabilized whipped cream. It's a nice recipe. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Great idea! We don't eat Cool Whip anymore either!

Honored Contributor

Would someone please tell me what is wrong with cool whip.

Honored Contributor

Sounds good. I received this email in a newsletter a few months back with a recipe but have not tried it yet.

Whipped Cream With Canned Evaporated Milk

Ingredients

• 12 ounce can evaporated milk
  • 1/2-3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

1. Place can of milk in freezer for thirty minutes (use a timer so you don't forget!). While that is getting cold, place mixing bowl and beaters (or whisk attachment) in refrigerator or freezer as well.
  2. Pour chilled evaporated milk into mixing bowl and beat at high speed for 1 minute, or until foamy. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat again for about two minutes, or until thick and creamy.
  3. Serve immediately
Note: This is great on top of desserts, fruit salads, pies, custards, etc. However, this has to be served as soon as it is made as it won't hold up for more than thirty minutes or so.
Regular Contributor

On 1/28/2014 momtodogs said:

I'd like to know too! I think it's delicious! Of course I'm not comparing it to "real" whip cream, but I still like it.

Contributor

On 1/28/2014 momtodogs said:

Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).

In other words, you are eating a fake substance that is a chemistry experiment.