Trusted Contributor

While browsing through old posts, I found a yummy-sounding cookie recipe by

Star~

Registered 8/3/2007

GA Peach

*?° ? °?*

which had some quantities that were unreadable (due to special characters which posted instead of the text). I loved the name, so I pursued the puzzle. I found a recipe on the landolakes web site which has a different name but is very similar. For any other "inquiring minds" out there, here are both recipes with the garbled quantities replaced.

Berry Bird Nests

1 cup softened butter

2/3 cup white sugar

1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
2 cups flour

1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon half & half cream

Cream butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until light and fluffy, then stir in sugar and whip until smooth. Slowly stir in flour and mix until blended.

Roll dough into one inch balls and place a deep/narrow indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill center of each cookie with raspberry jam. (I like to put mine in a Ziploc baggie and cut off the tip to do this. Much easier this way!)

Refrigerate cookies 1 hour.

Place cookies 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake 9 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow cookies to cool on wire rack.

Mix powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and half & half to form glaze. Pipe glaze onto cooled cookies!

-----

From landolakes.com

Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumprints

Thumbprint cookies with a buttery base, filled with raspberry preserves and drizzled with an almond glaze.

45 minutes prep time 2:40 total time 3-1/2 dozen cookies

Cookie

1 cup butter, softened

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup raspberry jam *

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

2 to 3 teaspoons water

1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine butter, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until creamy. Reduce speed to low. Add flour. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover, refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly). Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

* Substitute 1/2 cup of your favorite flavor jam.

Calories: 90 Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 45mg Carbohydrates: 13g Dietary Fiber: 0g Protein: 1g

Reviews (from landolakes web site)

5 Stars

I've been making these cookies at least twice a year (at Christmas and for Teachers Appreciation Week) for over a decade now. The recipe is easy to follow, doesn't call for a lot of ingredients, and the outcome is out of this world! The combination of raspberry jam and almond shortbread is perfection. One note, though: Allowing the cookie dough to cool in the refrigerator for an hour before forming and baking is vital to the tender, flaky texture that makes these cookies a knockout (so don't skip this step).

Posted Jul 17 2012 by Elizabeth

5 Stars

I've made this recipe dozens of times and passed it along to even more friends and family members. The cookie is so light and elegant. It's super easy to make. Only takes a few ingredients, that I always have on hand. One of my favorite cookies to make and eat.

Posted Jun 24 2012 by Stacey

5 Stars

This has become the new favorite cookie among my friends and coworkers.

Posted Feb 15 2012 by Kathy

5 Stars

I have made this recipe dozens of times and they have been perfect everytime! No, they do not need an egg, it is a shortbread cookie! To the people that are having trouble with them spreading too much, are you chilling the dough? Using a cool pan? I have never had this problem once and am not sure why you are. It is one of the simplest and lots of bang for your buck recipes ever!

Posted Feb 12 2012 by Karen