Contributor

Here's an easy way to make fresh pasta.

I’ve watched the little Italian ladies on TV make fresh pasta on a board by just putting down the flour, making a well for the egg, adding a little water and maybe some olive oil and gracefully mixing it up into a beautiful dough. Unfortunately my first few attempts were not nearly so successful. I ended up with either the flour dam breaking and egg all over the floor, a struggle to get the dough to form and then the pasta was either too wet or too dry and stubbornly refused to make anything resembling a proper shape either by hand or with the pasta machine. When I finally got something I could roll, apparently I didn’t do it enough and it was so thick it was like eating a wet sock. I readily admit that I love fresh pasta but I also admit that for the few cents it costs, I was willing to just buy it. Finally though, I have discovered this method that makes a great, easy to work with dough with very little effort. It works with just a rolling-pin, or a pasta machine and cooks up wonderfully. Of course, the use of the food processor is probably cheating, but that along with using the semolina flour makes all the difference in the texture.