Honored Contributor

Short ribs are something I find very intriguing--have never eaten them let alone cook them. Anyone have any thoughts? I would sear them on my outdoor grill then put them in my pressure cooker--found many recipes for this-----just wondering.

Honored Contributor

absolutely LOVE short ribs.

i usually season and sear them on the stove initially (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.....whatever herbs/seasonings you like.)

i then place them in a slow cooker with lots of sliced onions on top and a few shakes of worcestershire sauce.

once i am done searing them, i deglaze the pan with beer, wine, or broth.

i add that to the slow cooker.

they will make a ton of great natural juices while slow cooking. if you want to thicken it up a bit, add a pack of brown gravy mix OR a slurry of water/cornstarch.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I make beef short ribs in my dutch oven with vegetables and stock. Then I thicken the gravy before serving.  They can be tough so it helps to braise them for a long while and they come out fork tender.

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl 

I love short ribs!

Honored Contributor

Re: Short ribs??

[ Edited ]

We grill them to medium doneness, the last 7 minutes or so, brush them with honey.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   If you are ever in the Atlanta, Ga area you must go to this restaurant called Paschal's.  Their "fall off the bone meat" short ribs are to die for.  

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Short ribs??

[ Edited ]

I love them too!

Sear and cook in the IP.

Blue Jean Chef has some great recipes for all methods of cooking on her site.

However, they have gotten SO expensive!  You'd think you were buying Filet MIgnon!

Honored Contributor

I season them and put them in the slow cooker...they are delicious!  Searing them on the grill first sounds good too!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I season them and put them in the slow cooker...they are delicious!  Searing them on the grill first sounds good too!

That's how we cook them too.😃

I think the slow cooker gets them the most tender.  I don't have an InstaPot, but I've heard they work great too.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I season them and put them in the slow cooker...they are delicious! 

I do the same, except I toss in some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Smiley Wink