Super Contributor

Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw

This is from food network.com. It is a Ellie Krieger recipe. It turned out great.

NOTE: To make this quicker and easier you can use one 16-ounce bag of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage, called "Slaw Mix" instead of starting with whole cabbage and carrots. (I did this and it turned out fine)

Ingredients:

4 tsps chopped fresh sage or 1 1/2 tsps dried

1 lg clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)

1 tsp salt, divided

Freshly ground black pepper

4 (3/4-inch) bone in pork loin chops

1 large onion

1 large Granny Smith apple, cut in 1/2, cored

1/2 head green cabbage, cored

3 large carrots

2 tsps olive, oil, divided

2 TBS cider vinegar

3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth

Directions

Combine the 3 tsps of the fresh sage or 1 tsp dried, garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Rub this mixture all over the pork chops and let the chops sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion, apple and cabbage and julienne the carrots (very thin sticks).

Heat 1 tsp. of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan until but not smoking. Add the chops and brown on both sides. 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove.

Carefully wipe out the pan. Heat the remaining teaspoon oil over moderate heat and add the onion, apples and remaining teaspoon fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is soft and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots, vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt and continue cooking until the cabbage and carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and return the pork chops to the pan burying them in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook just until the pork chops are just slightly blush in the center, 5 to 7 minutes longer.

To serve, arrange the warm slaw on individual plates and top with a pork chop and pan juices.

Looks complicated, but I promise you it is not. I served it with mashed potatoes. I also used a little more oil so the chops wouldn't stick and omitted the broth. Enjoy.