Honored Contributor

SWEET POTATO vs. PUMPKIN PIE ....

I like to try one new thing for Thanksgiving, and am looking at pies.   

I see sweet potato pies all the time .... how do they differ in taste from pumpkin pie?    Are the spices the same?   What's your preference?

Respected Contributor

Re: SWEET POTATO vs. PUMPKIN PIE ....

@Tinkrbl44  I think that sweet potato pie has a milder, perhaps more butter-like flavor than pumpkin pie.  I like them both and put the same spices in each.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no idea what sweet potato pie tastes like since I have never ate it. I guess Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato Pie must be really good. I saw on the news some guy has a video on Youtube eating her pie. The video went viral & the pies flew off the shelf at Wal-Mart. I think they said they were selling 1 pie per second or minute.

Honored Contributor

@Meezerpleezer wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  I think that sweet potato pie has a milder, perhaps more butter-like flavor than pumpkin pie.  I like them both and put the same spices in each.

I agree with this. I do think sweet potato pie is milder. I like both, but I prefer pumpkin.

Respected Contributor

Sweet Potato Pie

-North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt*
  • 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
*NOTE: I use 1 3/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg.  I also leave out the salt.

Directions

1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Respected Contributor

For comparison:

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425°F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

Note: 1-3/4 teaspoons pumpkin spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different. Do not freeze, as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.

My note:  I leave out the salt and it tastes fine.

Trusted Contributor

I love everything Pumpkin.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure most people could tell the difference between pumpkin and sweet potato pies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have no idea what sweet potato pie tastes like since I have never ate it. I guess Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato Pie must be really good. I saw on the news some guy has a video on Youtube eating her pie. The video went viral & the pies flew off the shelf at Wal-Mart. I think they said they were selling 1 pie per second or minute.

@Nightowlz 

OMG ...   How funny!   I forgot about this post, but was mulling over sweet potato versus pumpkin pies  .... hmmm .....  well, I opted for the Patti Labelle pie this year. 

Just not sure if it needs to be refrigerated or can be left on the counter ....  anyone know?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I love Sweet Potato pie, and I do not enjoy pumpkin at all. 

There is a definite difference in taste to me. 

This past weekend, I was at a repast after a funeral service. Tons of desserts to chose from but no Sweet Potato Pie. I thought to myself I will just have a small sliver of this Pumpkin Pie. I think that it was from Costco. One bite, and I threw it away. I truly do not enjoy the taste.