Respected Contributor

I love this kind of swiss steak.  We had it all the time growing up.  Unfortunately my husband won't eat it.   Smiley Sad

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: SLOW-COOKER SWISS STEAK (ROUND STEAK)

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

I cook my recipe in the oven after browning on the stove, and it calls for tenderizing the steak, rubbing with garlic before coating with flour and browning, a green bell pepper instead of celery, tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes, no steak sauce, and cooked for two-two and a half hours in the oven at 325.  The sauce is addictive.

@mousiegirl how much tomato sauce do you use? Do you have to add flour to thicken the sauce a bit like this recipe mentions? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: SLOW-COOKER SWISS STEAK (ROUND STEAK)

@HappyDaze wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I cook my recipe in the oven after browning on the stove, and it calls for tenderizing the steak, rubbing with garlic before coating with flour and browning, a green bell pepper instead of celery, tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes, no steak sauce, and cooked for two-two and a half hours in the oven at 325.  The sauce is addictive.

@mousiegirl how much tomato sauce do you use? Do you have to add flour to thicken the sauce a bit like this recipe mentions? TIA!

@HappyDaze  Pound in as much flour at the meat will take as you are tenderizing.  Since we love the sauce, I make extra, so I use several cans of tomato sauce and either beef or chicken stock.  It calls for minced carrots, onions and green bell pepper, so I use one and a half cups total of the three together.  Saute these, then add the meat, tomato sauce and broth.

Cook at 300, not the 325 I mentioned, just checked the recipe, covered.  I would check it  periodically to make sure it doesn't need more broth.  You don't want the sauce to dry out.  I serve masheed potatoes and Italian green beans, but whatever you like of course.  As you go along, if you think you want more of the veges and/or sauce, it is fine, it will cook along with the meat with no problem.