1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons salad oil

1 (16-oz.) can tomatoes, cut up

1 large onion, sliced

1 stalk celery, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon thick bottled steak sauce

Cut steak into serving-size pieces.

Coat with flour, salt and pepper

In large skillet or in slow-cooker with browning unit, brown meat in oil.  Pour off excess fat.

In slow-cooker, combine meat with tomatoes, onion, celery and steak sauce.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until tender.

Thicken juices with additional flour dissolved in small amount of water.

Makes 5-6 servings.

Respected Contributor

Re: SLOW-COOKER SWISS STEAK (ROUND STEAK)

I make this all the time--it freezes beautifully.  I'm single and can freeze it in individual portions for lunches.

Super Contributor

Thanks!  Can't wait to try it. I didn't know how my Mom made it !

Respected Contributor

sounds excellent, will try this for sure. Will make butter noodles along with it as a side, thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for reminding me about one of my favorite classics. Just got back from the grocery store with the ingredients. I'm going all stovetop with mine, substituting cube steak. The egg noodles sound good to me, too, so I'll be serving them with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cook my recipe in the oven after browning on the stove, and it calls for tenderizing the steak, rubbing with garlic before coating with flour and browning, a green bell pepper instead of celery, tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes, no steak sauce, and cooked for two-two and a half hours in the oven at 325.  The sauce is addictive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great variations!

I do mine without the browning to cut the calories from the oil.  I use two cans recipe cut tomatoes and worchestshire, and stir a little flour into that liquid.  We do it with rice or mashed potatoes.

Respected Contributor

This dish was a staple in our house when I was growing up.  And if you own one of the very old Betty Crocker cookbooks from the old days, the Swiss Steak recipe is in there. 

Only problem was.......it was cooked until it reached the consistency of shoe leather, because my father always  specified that meat be cooked WELL DONE.......

and he would say that with great emphasis.

Later in life, when I'd go out to dinner with him, his emphatic instruction to the server usually resulted in a piece of shoe leather coming out of the chef's kitchen.  Oh well......he lived to 96, anyway, despite never tasting a good piece of meat.

When he'd go out of town on business trips,we could eat all kinds of stuff he didn't like.  We did miss him.....just not always at dinnertime.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

MY REVIEW:

Winner! I cooked this on the stove in a large deep skillet. After browning the cube steak as directed, I sauteed the onion and celery (I used extra celery) with minced garlic (I have to add that to just about everything). Put everything together and simmered, covered, on low for about 1.5 to 2 hrs. I think the real kicker here is the steak sauce. I used A-1.

I love the egg noodles with this, but I made a mistake in using medium width. They were pretty skinny and hard to get on the fork. Next time I'll be sure to use wide noodles. Some griddled Cuban bread helped to scoop everything up.

Thanks again, @novamc1

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the tips.  My mom always made this on top of the stove, too.  Like the noodle and A-1 sauce info. I don't pressure-cook, but I guess it would work that way, too..