Esteemed Contributor

I have these lovely beef cubes from the farmer's market, and I never made it before!

Do you start w/ a roux or add a roux somewhere along the cooking?

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa I have been making this recipe for over 30 years and have served it to many people over the years and it has always been well received to the point when I serve it to guests I have written up several copies of the recipes as it is easily one of my most requested recipes:

1 to 2 Pounds Stew Meat

1 Can Of Cream Of Mushroom Soup

1 Can Consomme' Soup

4 to 5 Carrots

4 To 5 Potatoes

3 to 4 Stalks Celery

1 Large Onion

Arrange stew meat on bottom of a casserole.  Cut and add vegetables by layers.  Mix the two soups together and pour over meat and vegetables.  Bake at 300 for 2-3 Hours.

You can bake in oven,  but I have always made mine in the Nesco or my Ninja Cooker.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears... oh my gosh, this sounds delicious!! I can never  make a good tasting stew, so I have not made any in quite a while. This recipe sounds easy and very tasty ... I can't wait to try it!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears

Thanks CareBears - sounds delish!!!

Do you think this would work in a Crock Pot?

Esteemed Contributor

@ChiliPepper Oh yes, I have never tried it in the crockpot but I can't see why not, not sure about the browning the meat beforehand though, maybe someone could chime in on that?

Frequent Contributor

This recipe looks wonderful!  Do you brown the stew meat before putting it in the casserole?  I would be baking in the oven.  Thank you so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Harps, I have been making this stew for over 45 years & it is so easy.

I put 1# of stew meat into a granite roaster with enough water to cover the bottom of the roaster for 30 minutes at 300°.

Then add:

4-5 potatoes quartered

1/2 bag of mini carrots

3 celery stalks chopped

1 medium onion chopped

I can of Swanson's beef broth

1/2-1 package of onion or onion mushroom dry soup 

Roast for about 3 more hours.  It is great the next day heated up in a crock pot.  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe for Beef Stew?

[ Edited ]

I used to make beef stew on the stove in a large stock pot. Now I just put it in the pressure cooker.

I mix up some salt, pepper & flour to season the meat with before browning it in olive oil. I cut up potatoes but not sure how many. I throw the potatoes in a large Tupperware measuring cup & always end up with at least 7 cups. You can use store bought broth or make your own. I don't add any more salt or pepper since it has plenty from the seasoned flour mix. You can also add some red wine & use less broth.

2 lbs or so of beef chunks

1 bag of carrot chips

2-3 stalks celery, diced

7 cups new red potatoes, cubed

2 boxes beef broth

1 onion, quartered

1 bay leaf

After browning the meat I add everything else & cook about 20-25 mins. It takes longer to pressure up/down then it takes to cook.

If you don't have a pressure cooker you can make it in a stockpot. I browned the meat 1st & let the meat simmer until tender before adding everything else & cooking on lower heat until veggies are tender.

Honored Contributor

I never have, but I suppose you could. It really depends on the recipe you use. I usually use cornstarch instead of flour.

Esteemed Contributor

@weight watcher I have never made it in the oven, when I use my Ninja cooker and set it at temperature I have never browned the meat.