Honored Contributor

I know nothing about this, but it was listed as a high Protein food, that vegans and vegetarians like to eat. Yesterday I read models eat this too. Hopefully, to stay with them longer.

If you eat it, how do you prepare it?

Also, what do you do with avacados? Not talking dips, but as a food. ?? No idea.

I tried a new veg last week. It was a Mexican potato. Forgot what it was called. It said you could shred it and use in salads. So I did that. Nothing....  oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for any ideas.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Have you ever had cous cous?  It is like that, but gluten free and less "fluffy."  I also use it like I would use brown rice.

You can use it in anything:

soups

salads

mixed in to veggie burgers

stuffed peppers

stir fry

Valued Contributor

QualityGirl - I have had Quinoa as a warm breakfast cereal, similar to Cream of Wheat but healthier.  I added choped nuts and raisins.  It is very good.  Also, i use Avocados on just about anything.  Cut one in half and scoop Tuna or Chicken salad on top.  Grilled pesto cheese and avocado sandwiches are great.  Also deep fried avocado is very good.  I will eat them any time or any way - I love them.  

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Trusted Contributor

You deep fry an avacado?!  Like bread and fry?  That sounds so good (not health, maybe)!

Valued Contributor

Jeannie29 ~  I have only eaten them in restaurants.  It seems as though they use Panko type crumbs on the outside as the coating, and the ones I have had are whole.  

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Respected Contributor

Just talking off the top of my head here, but I think couscous is not a whole grain whereas quinoa IS and would be healthier than couscous. 

Respected Contributor

I eat avacados plain, but they are good on almost any sandwich IMO.   

Quinoa can be added to about anything you cook or cooked and eaten plain.  I've even sprouted it for my birds.

@Another new name Sue You are right.  couscous is pasta.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

I make a cold quinoa bean salad (Rio Grande salad).      

3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup Quinoa; rinsed well
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds; toasted
1 cup cooked black beans
1 medium tomato, diced
3 tablespoons red onion, minced

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add corn. Reduce heat and let corn simmer until tender. Drain corn, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.

Bring cooking liquid to a boil and add quinoa and cumin. Cover, reducing heat, and let simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Remove pan from heat and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes.

Fluff quinoa with a fork and allow to cool slightly. In a bowl, combine cooled quinoa, corn, black beans, tomato and onion. Pour dressing over and toss gently to mix. Refrigerate salad until ready to serve.

As far as avocados, we usually use them in salads, but they're good on sandwiches or eaten plain.  Sometimes my husband slices one and has it like a side dish.  

The Mexican potato is a jicama.  

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I make a cold quinoa bean salad (Rio Grande salad).      

3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup Quinoa; rinsed well
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds; toasted
1 cup cooked black beans
1 medium tomato, diced
3 tablespoons red onion, minced

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add corn. Reduce heat and let corn simmer until tender. Drain corn, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.

Bring cooking liquid to a boil and add quinoa and cumin. Cover, reducing heat, and let simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Remove pan from heat and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes.

Fluff quinoa with a fork and allow to cool slightly. In a bowl, combine cooled quinoa, corn, black beans, tomato and onion. Pour dressing over and toss gently to mix. Refrigerate salad until ready to serve.

As far as avocados, we usually use them in salads, but they're good on sandwiches or eaten plain.  Sometimes my husband slices one and has it like a side dish.  

The Mexican potato is a jicama.  

Cotton Ball!! yes that is what it was called! Thanks for the recipe input too!! Thanks. Jicama = Mexican potato. You're so smart! Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

I use a 1/2 avacado mashed up on my salad in leiu of salad dressing. Don't need any with the avacado in there.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004