Honored Contributor

Mustang...I got my DH a smoker too! Best gift I have ever given him!!

We have smoked things all winter long even in the frigid temps. No way you are standing outside to grill, but we have the smoker in the garage (which smells quite yummy these days!) We just crack the door a smidge and smoke away!

DH has become quite the fanatic! Always looking for new things to try in it and new rubs and spices. I get some great varieties from The Spice House online. Not a fan of Penzey's for moral reasons. We smoke all our steaks now...even in the summer. Veggies, turkeys, chix, pork, brisket, salmon...you name it...we stick it in there. I have also made the Dangum guys recipe for Smoked Mac & Cheese. The family requests it all the time...but lately they have loved Stretchy Mac & Cheese posted by Naturalbornwoman. I haven't tried smoking that version yet.

Too funny...we really are two peas in a pod.

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning RespectLife,

Oh those smokers are wonderful! DH looks for something to smoke all the time! Ours sits on the deck right outside the kitchen door and under the overhang so he doesn't have it too rough any season he wants to use it. Not much stops him weather-wise when he decides it is time to load it up! Smoked mac and cheese is one of his favorite sides! He also has a corn dish that he found the recipe for that is quite good! I have to say he is much better with the smoker than he is the grill, bless his heart!

I guess I haven't heard the story about Penzey's, and I am not familiar with The Spice House. I first heard of Penzey's on these boards and was happy to find out there was one, not too far from us although I think I started ordering from them before I found out there was one store in St. Louis. Is the Spice House a store or is it strictly mail order?

I must have missed the recipe for mac and cheese by Naturalbornwoman; if you have the link, would you mind posting it? Well, this "pea" in the pod better tend to the laundry-it's not warm enough here to start wearing summer clothes just yet, although last evening the forecast said next week it may get to 80! Too hot too soon for this area!

Honored Contributor

Mornin' Ladies & Gents,

It's still 18 degrees here with a wind chill of 12 degrees.

Siggggghhhhhh.....

We're still craving the warm weather comfort foods LOL!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Aww...Chillipepper....where do you live? That is still really cold. I am north of Buffalo, NY and even we are hitting 47 today! Longing for a tropical vacation like me?

Mustang...here is the link for Stretchy Mac & Cheese

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/479419/stretchy-mac-cheese.aspx#createreply

I also just bumped it up for you and others interested. The chunks of cheese really do make a yummy difference. It's a good one! I try only to make it for special occasions but my family wants it every time I cook for them!! They even wanted it for St. Patty's day but I had to say no....need those boiled potatoes!

The Spice House is owned by a Penzey, the daughter. The Penzey parents started the buisness in 1957. Their stores are only located in WI & IL. They have a fabulous website. I signed up for their emails and get nice coupons for free shipping etc. They have tons of recipes on their website. The company is just a better match for my mindset. I have some objections to some of the articles in the Penzey's catalog/magazine and have recently received emails that have nothing to do with cooking or spices and found them to be inappropriate and unprofessional. No agenda by me...just a preference of where to shop. The Spice House just is a merchant of spices. Someone on the boards suggested them a while back. They have items that no one else carries like Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce! I looked for that for months for a recipe DiAnne had posted. They also have a great espresso powder I couldn't find else where...and some Asian blends that are terrific.

No rush, but would you mind sharing the corn recipe you do in the smoker? DH would love it!! TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning to you ChiliPepper!

Sorry your temps are still so cold! It is 48 here now but it is drizzle/raining and it feels much colder than the actual temp. We are now under a flood watch with the rain expected here-ahhhh spring in the St. Louis area coming soon when we start getting flood watches! Next will be the tornado watches and warnings! Grab Toto and head for the cellar-unless it's flooded! We have had dinner salads a couple times this week and I made olive-cheese bread to go with it-not something I make more than once or twice a year but was cleaning out the pantry now that I have the freezer pretty well cleaned out! Hope you will soon be getting ready for spring/summer fare soon, too.

Thanks RespectLife,

I saw the recipe when I came back here and will copy it to make for DH. Yes, my family would eat mac and cheese, especially if it was smoked, for about any meal. I am the one who doesn't care for it-I don't care much for any pasta but Lo mein. My grandson often eats lunch/dinner foods for breakfast and mac and cheese is often requested. I figure it is better than sugared cereal or poptarts. He loves eggs and sausage but don't like to feed him that everyday, although we fight to keep his weight up. He gets taller but doesn't gain weight-didn't take after my side of the family-LOL!

DH isn't home today-decided to work out of his St.Louis office instead of the home office. If I can find his recipe, I will post it other wise, will have to wait until he comes home. He has that Dadgum recipe book also and I think he keeps his other recipes tucked in it so will look there.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Mustang66lady...no rush at all on that recipe. When you get to it is just fine.

Honored Contributor

Hi there Respect & Mustang & other Kitchen-ista's.

Respect, I'm not far from you, I'm in the Syracuse area - small world huh??? I will have to check out your Mac & Cheese recipe - we LOVE mac & cheese. I know, I know - all things in moderation though right???

Well, we "warmed up" to 33 degrees with a wind chill of 24 degrees! Whoo hoo!!! I'll take it.

Funny thing Mustang, I too am cleaning out the pantry & freezer - finding some mighty weird things in the back of the pantry & bottom of the freezer. It's funny the odd, interesting meals I have created out of some of this stuff! I must have found a super sale on pickles at some point LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, RespectLife, I found his recipe. He found it on the Food Net Work website. My DH has to travel a lot and found this restaurant in Kansas City, MO. It is from Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue or "The Stack" as it is referred to there. People in DH's branch there recommended this place, then he saw it on Diners, Drive In, and Dives so decided to try it. He loved this side dish better than the barbeque. I will type it with changes he made in parenthesis. And to the Food Police, I am aware this is not a diet recipe or even heart healthy. It is something we make maybe 2-3 times a year, not an everyday or even weekly or monthly treat. Everyone can feel free to decide when, how much, and what to put in their body or not.

Smoke Stack Cheesy Corn Bake (from Lan on the Foodnetwork.com)

2 tablespoons of butter

4 teaspoons of flour

1/8th teaspoon of garlic powder ( he probably use a tad more since he loves garlic)

(1/2 teaspoon or to taste cayenne pepper-this is not in original recipe-we just like the kick of heat)

3/4 cup of milk

1 1/2 cups of sharp AMERICAN cheese shredded (we buy this in the deli-it equals 1/2 lb of cheese)

1 (3 ounce)package of cream cheese (which I can no longer find so have to use from a larger package)

3 (10 ounce) packages of frozen whole kernel corn (we buy organic), thawed

3 ounces diced ham

Have everything ready to go; you do not have time to measure, shred, etc once you begin cooking.

Melt butter in heavy skillet (we use a cast iron pan): stir in flour and garlic powder (and cayenne pepper if using).

Add milk: cook & stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheeses and continue to cook while stirring over low heat until cheeses melt.

Stir in corn and ham.

Bake in 2 quart casserole for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. (DH places the cast iron skillet in the smoker at this point instead of transferring to a casserole and baking). Serves 10-12

If our grandson wasn't with us for most meals when this is fixed, we would probably dice up some jalapenos to go in it, too, but these can be a little much for his 7 year old taste buds!

Hope you enjoy!

Trusted Contributor
Love. Great food. Thanks:-)
Frequent Contributor
I scrounged up the ingredients for the soup--- it's a cool rainy day here. My Sams club did not have the pot stickers this time. Neither did my aldis. But I found some at the Harris teeter along with the regular sesame oil. I've read thru all of the suggestions & believe I'm ready to make some fabulous soup tonight. I've truly enjoyed this thread!