Esteemed Contributor

Adore,

I am about to go to bed but wanted you to know that I am sending prayers for you and Phillip to have a good night's sleep. You sound like you more than need it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 mustang66lady said:

Adore,

I am about to go to bed but wanted you to know that I am sending prayers for you and Phillip to have a good night's sleep. You sound like you more than need it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Yes you are correct Mustang.

We both need to get much needed rest now, and we will.

Many thanks and we appreciate the prayers too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Mornin' Ladies & Gents, I checked last night & my new bottle of sesame oil does NOT say anything about refrigerating it after opening. I did anyways just to be on the safe side.

Honored Contributor
On 3/12/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Mornin' Ladies & Gents, I checked last night & my new bottle of sesame oil does NOT say anything about refrigerating it after opening. I did anyways just to be on the safe side.

Morning ChiliPepper and ladies!

Too funny...I did the same thing...went home and checked my oil. Then put my glasses on and then went and got the magnifying glass! LOL Blind as a bat! It didn't say anything about refrigeration either! I actually have never refrigerated any of my oils.

We are on the same wave though...I only have about 2 drops left since I have been on this soup kick...I put it in the frig anyhoo!!!

Mustang and Adore...hope you both got some well deserved rest! Prayed for you both (and DHs as well)

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning ChiliPepper and RespectLife,

Thank you for your good wishes; I did sleep well, just could have slept a little longer! DH is up, feeling like nothing had happened and working from his office in the house. Today is cleaning day so I need to get busy soon, just wanted to drink a cup of coffee after getting the GS off to school and running a daughter to the bank for her job. Hope you have a wonderful day. I need to get to the grocery store after I am done because I am going to make the soup for supper tonight-need a new bottle of sesame oil and some veggies. DH has some dental work to be done this afternoon so soup will be a good supper for him.

Oh-oh, I think I may be in trouble. Some Like It Hot, the old Marilyn Monroe movie just came on-one of my favorites. Will be good to have on while I clean! Have a great day, Ladies.

Frequent Contributor
What a wonderful thread and a new recipe to boot! I can't wait to try this. Our sams club has the potstickers & a great assortment of frozen veggies. I've learned right off the bat to store the sesame oil. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
On 3/11/2015 mustang66lady said:

Good morning CaliKat,

Nice to meet you. Hope you like the soup if you try it. You got a lot of good suggestions from reading this thread. I didn't know if sesame oil expires or not so I googled it and it appears you have stored it properly but it still is only good for about 6 months. The article I read even went on to say it is toxic when it spoils. Others reading this thread may have other information for you. You encouraged me to learn something today that I had not thought about and I will now have to get a new bottle of sesame oil because I am not sure how old mine is! Will date it from now on. Have a great day and thanks for your comments.

Hi mustang66lady,

It's nice to meet you too. I guess I should buy a new bottle of sesame oil, even if it still appears to be okay. Three years is a long time to have it in the fridge. LOL.

FOR EVERYONE,

I'm a bit confused about which sesame oil to use in this recipe, light, or toasted, or both. I read an article that said, "Light sesame oil is a cooking oil, while toasted sesame oil is more of a condiment/flavoring/last-minute addition to a dish. One cannot substitute for the other."

In this recipe the oil is definitely used as a cooking oil, but then it's added again at the end, suggesting it's being used as a flavoring. Are most of you using light sesame oil for this soup? TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning ~k~,

I am so happy to meet you. My poor brain will get a challenge remembering all the "new" people I am talking to but that's a good thing! Hope you enjoy this soup if you make it. I have failed to see potstickers at our SAM's Club but our Walmart carries some and I bought a stash from Aldi's (and they not only are very good but inexpensive to boot). I will have to look at SAM's again-does yours carry then all the time or is it a seasonal item like they are at Aldi's? Please have a good day!

CaliKat

I too, need a new bottle of sesame oil. The grocery store nearest to me does not always have a wide variety so I choose the only sesame oil they offered. It is the Dynasty brand with a yellow/gold label; 5 oz bottle. It says 100% Pure Sesame Seed Oil and under that in smaller letters, it says "An Oriental Seasoning Oil." I checked it all over and no where does it say to store in refrigerator after opening but I should have known that since I store my nuts and seeds in the freezer anyway to prevent them from becoming rancid. There is also no expiration date on my bottle label or stamped on the bottle bottom. Hope this helps and will be interested in seeing what everyone else has been using. Great question! I am learning a lot from this thread from all you wonderful ladies!

Honored Contributor

I use Asian Gourmet Sesame Oil (the only bottle I have ever found at my smaller size Wegman's) I didn't even know there were different types! Learning every day!

The bottle says:

Product of Taiwan. Asian Gourmet Sesame Oil is perfect for adding dramatic flavor and aroma to your favorite stir fry or other dishes.

Ingredients

Sesame Oil.

LOL Not a lot of info there! I could drink the stuff though....it smells so good. WHOOA, I better not...just read the label....130 cal per tablespoon, 14g of fat, 2g of saturated fat

Cali, I'm assuming I have NOT been using a light sesame oil!! Yikes!

Honored Contributor

Mustang, my sesame oil sounds like the same one as yours but mine DOES have an expiration date - sometime in 2016 as I recall. I'm not home but it was yellow & said exactly the same thing (other than the expiration date).

That was the only brand my store had at the time.

Weird how some say to refrigerate & some don't.