Respected Contributor

Pumpkin shortage to show up in December due to poor Midwest crops

Respected Contributor

Re: Pumpkin shortage to show up in December due to poor Midwest crops

Too bad for the farmers but OK by me since I don't like pumpkin, except the seeds.  So this means the seeds will cost more than they already do.  Maybe I'll try toasting butternut squash seeds instead.

Super Contributor

My kids say "no one does this". . .but I do:  Every fall I buy several large pumpkins to decorate outside for Halloween.  I don't carve them, just have them around the scarecrow by the front steps.  I bring them in before it freezes (store them in the basement) and after Thanksgiving I cook them up .  (Cut them in half, remove the seeds and bake until they're tender.)  I put all of the soft pulp into my VitaMix and blend until it's smooth.  I freeze this pumpkin in 2 cup portions and have enough for a year's supply of pumpkin pie, cake, bread and muffins.  Frozen pumpkin really is better than canned and I don't ever run out. . . 

Respected Contributor

OK, I admit I'm not a pumpkin fan at all - I don't "get" the excitement about all the pumpkin products that start making their appearance in August, but I had to come see what the thread was about as the title as it appears in the list caught my eye and I was curious:  Cat LOL

Pumpkin shortage to show up in December due to poo

Honored Contributor

@lork wrote:

My kids say "no one does this". . .but I do:  Every fall I buy several large pumpkins to decorate outside for Halloween.  I don't carve them, just have them around the scarecrow by the front steps.  I bring them in before it freezes (store them in the basement) and after Thanksgiving I cook them up .  (Cut them in half, remove the seeds and bake until they're tender.)  I put all of the soft pulp into my VitaMix and blend until it's smooth.  I freeze this pumpkin in 2 cup portions and have enough for a year's supply of pumpkin pie, cake, bread and muffins.  Frozen pumpkin really is better than canned and I don't ever run out. . . 

What a good idea.  I not a big pumpkin fan but had two on a small hay bale on my porch.  I have already thrown them in the yard waste container but there is always next year!

Trusted Contributor

@lork wrote:

Good idea!

I don't freeze pumpkin (it doesn't last that long in my house), but I have made pies, etc. out of the smaller pie pumpkins. I haven't had as good of luck with the larger jack-o-lantern size pumpkins.