Honored Contributor

Re: Problem With Pie Cracking on Top

[ Edited ]

If you have a top crust, you're not cutting enough vents.  

When it bubbles as well as creates steam, the syrup needs room!

Also, in ALL baking. over mixing can create cracking.

Honored Contributor

Chess pie is a single crust pie. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@12andcounting 

Can't believe nobody asked you if you would share your recipe.  Would you, please?  I love Chess Pie but don't have a home-proved recipe for a chocolate one.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit wrote:

@12andcounting 

Can't believe nobody asked you if you would share your recipe.  Would you, please?  I love Chess Pie but don't have a home-proved recipe for a chocolate one.

@Honeybit

If you search for the "Angus Barn Chocolate Chess Pie recipe," you will find the one I use.  It's a very simple recipe, but we thoroughly enjoy it.  The Angus Barn still serves this dessert and it's one of their top sellers, as I understand it.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting

@Honeybit

I googled this pie because I had actually never heard of it.

It comes up on food.com; cooks.com; recipe.com and other sites and seems to be the same.

On the food.com site, some one posted this comment which might address your cracking question...

"Just a tip for everyone. My mother has been making this for years. Melt the butter and chocolate together. When it is done melting mix chocolate/butter and everything else in a separate bowl. Do not mix other ingredients in pot while it is still on the burner. This will keep the pie from over cooking and cracking. just be careful when you take it out. don't be to rough with it and let it sit 30 mins before eating."

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@12andcounting

@Honeybit

I googled this pie because I had actually never heard of it.

It comes up on food.com; cooks.com; recipe.com and other sites and seems to be the same.

On the food.com site, some one posted this comment which might address your cracking question...

"Just a tip for everyone. My mother has been making this for years. Melt the butter and chocolate together. When it is done melting mix chocolate/butter and everything else in a separate bowl. Do not mix other ingredients in pot while it is still on the burner. This will keep the pie from over cooking and cracking. just be careful when you take it out. don't be to rough with it and let it sit 30 mins before eating."

Thanks, @RespectLife.  I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Trusted Contributor

For other inquiring recipe minds, this is what I found.  There are lots of stories in the South about the origin of the name "Chess Pie".  My favorite is the cook who was asked the name of her wonderful dessert and replied laconically, "It's 'jes pie." 

Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie

Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie has been at the Raleigh family-owned restaurant for 30-years. The recipe was hand delivered by then owner, Alice Eure to pastry chef Betty Shugart. "I want you to do something different with this recipe just for the Angus Barn," Shugart said as she remembered the day. With some tinkering to this southern classic pie recipe, Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie is their most famous dessert.

Carolyn Turner turns out 60-70 pies a day; not just for customers at the restaurant, but for hundreds of requests from around the world. "We send them out every day," Turner said. Around Christmas the requests for the pies double.

Angus Barn Chocolate Chess Pie

1 unbaked pie crust
1 stick of butter
2 squares bakers chocolate (semi-sweet)
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt

Melt butter and chocolate, mix with other ingredients, which have been blended together. Pour into a pie shell and bake 35 minutes (no longer) at 350 degrees. Top with whipped cream.

Esteemed Contributor

@Honeybit

I never knew chess pie to be such a Southern pie.  Thank you for sharing the information.  I always thought chess pie was an Amish type pie.  I don't know why; I have never eaten it but photos of recipes that I have seen look like pure comfort food which both Southern cooking and Amish cooking are both for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@12andcounting

I just got an email from SouthernPlate.com-Christy's recipe today is her Grandmother's chocolate chess pie!  You might want to go to her blog and read the recipe and any tips she gives.  At the bottom of the page, you can send her messages which she is really good to answer promptly.  Maybe she has an answer for the cracking in your pie!  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@12andcounting

I just got an email from SouthernPlate.com-Christy's recipe today is her Grandmother's chocolate chess pie!  You might want to go to her blog and read the recipe and any tips she gives.  At the bottom of the page, you can send her messages which she is really good to answer promptly.  Maybe she has an answer for the cracking in your pie!  Good luck!

Thanks so much, @mustang66lady.  I appreciate this information!!