Valued Contributor

Can I make potato salad with baking potatoes?   That's all I have and I don't want to go to the store!  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

I think you can as long as the potatoes aren't mushy.  I think I have done it before with firm baked potatoes.  

~ Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.~ French Proverb
Respected Contributor

Yes you can use the baking potatoes for potato salad.  You might want to shorten the cooking time.  The idaho-type spuds fall apart if boiled too long.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicecupoftea

Yes you can and maintain the shape of the cubes you cut as well.

1.  Wash and scrub your Russet (large brown) potatoes, then pat dry with a towel or paper towel.

2.   Using either regular or heavy-duty foil, make enough 14x14 or larger pieces of foil for your potatoes.

3.  Place one potato across a point end of a piece of foil and roll up (away from your body). 

4.  Pinch the ends of foil that stick out nice and tight.

5.  Using a paring or other knife, poke three holes in each potato through and into the potato a bit.

6.  In a preheated 400 degree oven, place your potatoes on the middle rack, leaving space between each potato.

7.  Bake 1 hour.

8.  Remove to cool on a rack.

9.  When cooled down to warm, place in your frig until the next day.

10.  Next Day:  Remove from frig, take foil off and peel potatoes.  The potatoes are nice and firm and ready for slicing into the desired size for your potato salad.

Respected Contributor

I use baking potatoes for potato salad.  As long as it is a firm potato and not mushy like maybe a Yukon gold you should be just fine.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I use baking potatoes for potato salad.  As long as it is a firm potato and not mushy like maybe a Yukon gold you should be just fine.

@KentuckyWoman  Yukon Gold potatoes aren't mushy, but any potatoe will turn mushy if it is overcooked.  I use them for various potato salads, roasting, soups, and they stay very nicely in whatever shape I have cut them, more flaror than other potatoes too.

Honored Contributor

I'm shaking my head in wonderment at the question.   Just when you thing you've heard everything.... 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman  Yukon Gold potatoes aren't mushy, but any potatoe will turn mushy if it is overcooked.  I use them for various potato salads, roasting, soups, and they stay very nicely in whatever shape I have cut them, more flaror than other potatoes too.

@mousiegirl

right, the yukon golds are not mushy at all. i actually prefer yukon golds and red potatoes when i make potato salads.

the only thing i use idaho baking potatoes for is a baked potato, mashed potatoes, or potato soup.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@mousiegirl

right, the yukon golds are not mushy at all. i actually prefer yukon golds and red potatoes when i make potato salads.

the only thing i use idaho baking potatoes for is a baked potato, mashed potatoes, or potato soup.

@sunshine45  I even use Yukons for garlic mashed potatoes. Smiley Happy  It is my favorite potato, and as you say, the russets, (out here) for baking and fries, can't beat them for these.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Potato Salad

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm shaking my head in wonderment at the question.   Just when you thing you've heard everything.... 

@Kachina624

I'm providing input here because I like a well defined piece of potato in my salad.  I've had so many mushy potato salads, I find it surprising that some would cook the heck out of potatoes, water-logging them enough so that end product is yucky.  That's just my take on it.