Honored Contributor

Re: Pot Roast with veggies made in the crockpot, anyone?

Always good to see some new variations on an old theme. Thanks!

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I make this sort of thing and liiterally throw in different things every single time.  Some variations on what people have already mentioned might be a can of Campbell's tomato soup or mushroom or celery soup, Lipton's Beefy Onion soup  mix,  Worcestershire sauce, Montreal Steak Seasoning, a packet of McCormick slow cooker beef stew or pot roast mix,  red pepper flakes........

I add all kinds of vegetables--celery, onions, carrots,  peas, green beans, corn, lima beans, a can of tomatoes--whatever happens to be in the freezer or pantry.

I slow cook it in the oven (after giving away my crockpot that cooked too fast and too hot), and as long as the meat gets a chance to cook long enough to really tenderize and almost become shreddable, my husband loves it.

while I do agree we do like and prefer pot roasts not made in the crockpot but in the heat and humidity I don't use my oven at all since my AC window units are so old and don't do much cooling other than take some humidity out of the house. They are window units but one is built into the wall and is why I am not in a hurry to get another one. When we got ours they were huge, not anymore. Now I would have a huge hole in my wall which I don't want of course so, skip the oven in this      weather.

Normally I make my pot roasts on top of the stove as both my mom and gram always did, very tender and juicy and of course always put potatoes, onions, carrots and sometimes celery in it.

Honored Contributor

I put potatoes and carrots and onion in first, then the roast, then dry onion soup packet on top with cream of mushroom soup on top of that. I love it that way, not the healthiest of course now a days, but ohhhhh baby!! LOL

Honored Contributor

I like to brown the roast first. Put the browned roast in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a cup of beef broth, carrots, potatoes & onions. Can you say YUM!!!

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I put potatoes and carrots and onion in first, then the roast, then dry onion soup packet on top with cream of mushroom soup on top of that. I love it that way, not the healthiest of course now a days, but ohhhhh baby!! LOL

That's exactly how I make it. Sometimes I like egg noodles so I don't put potatoes in.

Respected Contributor

thanks ladies, had the pot roast and veggies and went tonight to pick up the seasonings and packets etc so, Monday will be pot roast day thanks to you ladies.

Honored Contributor

I like to brown the roast first in a frying pan so you have the nice taste of the seared meat. In the bottom of the pot I mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a half can of beef broth, a splash of worchestershire sauce, and some dehydrated onions.( I think the lipton onion soup has too much sodium. )I also add a small can of mushrooms then place the seared meat on top, salt, pepper and dehydrated garlic. If you want to you can add potatoes and carrots to this. We prefer mashed potatoes. i cook on high for about 5 to 6 hours. Your house will smell delicious.

Respected Contributor

ladies, I made this Monday for dinner and plan on making it again Friday, was soooo good.

I put small potatoes on the bottom along with a  pound bag of baby carrots and 2 large onions cut in half.

I put the pot roast on top(didn't brown it first) than put a packet of Lipton onion soup mix on the roast than a can of cream of mushroom soup.

I put half an empty soup can of water in.

I put it on low for 8 hours(pot roast was a large on).

The house smelled great and the dinner was wonderful.

I served it with chunky applesauce. Both DH and DS loved it and is why it was requested again for Friday.

there was enough left for DS to have for his lunch the next day.

thanks a lot for the recipes.

Respected Contributor

I'm doing a roast with veg on Sunday. I'll do the Mississippi Roast with a roast, veggies, a packet of beef augu and a packet of ranch with a half stick of butter on top. Close and cook on low 6-8 hours. I also do one with a can of french onion soup and a can of beef consume. I'm using mushrooms this time, so they will release their moisture and create more gravy. MY veg are red taters, pearl onions/vidalia if I can find them, carrots and mushrooms. Serve with a salad.
Honored Contributor

I make mine just like Tootie15 described in her post. In fact, we'll having a crock pot roast later in the week.