Respected Contributor

Some time ago, a few foodie connoisseurs here advised me I could put unused (uncooked) fresh meat slices in freezer bags so I could cook them later.

Is it me, or does pork have a weird odor after being frozen?

I do know my steaks never have an odor when I take them out of freezer bags.

But this pork has me stumped.

Honestly, how would I know a "good" pork smell from a bad pork smell?

I soaked the slices in HOT water for 5 minutes ... is that the problem?  The hot water?

Or should pork never be frozen?

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and thanks in advance!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I never defrost in hot water - place in fridge to thaw or you can place ia plastic pouch  of meat in  a bowl of cool water .

I have frozen pork that came from a local meat market.

Had the pork you froze been frozen before you bought it ?

Honored Contributor

Pork sometimes has a strong odor or taste.  It is way more "iffy" than beef.  I've gotten poultry recently that has a strong chicken taste I can't eat.

It may be that you notice that smell/taste now more that you are examining the pork, or that it developed in the freezer.

If you want to freeze anything, a food saver vacc machine is THE way to go.   So all I have are some suggestions and hope you have better luck next time!  

Respected Contributor

I freeze pork all the time and thaw in refrigerator......

Honored Contributor

Re: Pork in Freezer Bags?

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina 

Freezing pork is not the problem.  I have frozen pork in my freezer, wrapped tightly in freezer paper, that's a year old, and there's no odor when I unwrap it or cook it.  

The odor is most likely coming from the meat, the plastic freezer bag, and absolutely the hot water.  Why would you soak the meat in hot water?

Bad pork has a sour smell and the meat feels slimy; very noticeable.  Meat from an older hog is a bit darker in color, even the fat will be darker, and it will smell a bit stronger than the same cut from a younger hog.  The meat is still good, but anyone who has raised their own pork knows the difference.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I soaked the slices in HOT water for 5 minutes ... is that the problem?  The hot water?

Or should pork never be frozen?

@RinaRina 

Yes "soaking the slices" if you mean laying raw frozen pork in hot water would be a problem most definitely.

Pork can definitely be frozen and thawed in the refrigerator or sealed packets in cold water keeping an eye on it as it thaws.  It should never get room temp or warm.

As for pork smells @RedTop has the right info, it varies.

Honored Contributor

I freeze uncooked pork quite a bit and have never had an issue or odor.

If you need to defrost quickly, use the defrost setting on your microwave.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Had the pork you froze been frozen before you bought it ?

No.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Pork in Freezer Bags?

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@RinaRina 

Freezing pork is not the problem.  I have frozen pork in my freezer, wrapped tightly in freezer paper, that's a year old, and there's no odor when I unwrap it or cook it.  

The odor is most likely coming from the meat, the plastic freezer bag, and absolutely the hot water.  Why would you soak the meat in hot water?

Bad pork has a sour smell and the meat feels slimy; very noticeable.  Meat from an older hog is a bit darker in color, even the fat will be darker, and it will smell a bit stronger than the same cut from a younger hog.  The meat is still good, but anyone who has raised their own pork knows the difference.

===============================

Good to know!

Thanks!

BTW,

"Why would you soak the meat in hot water?"
I wanted to cook it immediately.

I ended up putting it in the pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Next time, just put the pork in the pressure cooker and cook from a frozen state.  I do that all the time with pork and beef.