Valued Contributor

Re: Pasta Salad From My Area's Former Top Tea Room

ECGB.......Thanks for the extra tips on the pasta salad! I hope to make it tomorrow!!

Valued Contributor

@ECBG Yum, sounds delicious, thank you for sharing with us!  What are your measurements that you use to increase the dressing by a 1/4, I don't want to screw up my dressing? lol

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

@chicagoan wrote:

@ECBG Yum, sounds delicious, thank you for sharing with us!  What are your measurements that you use to increase the dressing by a 1/4, I don't want to screw up my dressing? lol

I'm fortunate in that I can get Hidden Valley Ranch powder in an 8 oz container and not have to buy it in the envelope.  The cost difference is astronomical!  It's # Tbsp. powder to 1 C EACH of mayo and milk.

The recipe says one small packet of ranch, I'd get two and use 1/4 of the other after you measure it, 1/4 of the mayo, 1/4 of the milk, and 1/4 of the sour cream.  I don't have a packet to measure out to see, sorry.

I also put the milk in a custard cup and just put a tad of vinegar in it in place of buttermilk.  As in pancakes and biscuits, works like a charm.

I actually double this recipe because I want leftovers!

Love this with something grilled, (the dill is great with salmon of course)  fresh green beans, and cantaloupe.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

This salad sounds wonderful. Anyway you could post the pesto recipe noted at the bottom of the page? Always love a good pesto recipe. Thanks for sharing this great and different pasta salad. 

@godi, I'm just going to type this one ladies, since the scanner is at DH's office.

Chelsea's Classic Pesto

An Italian masteripece, use this intense sauce as a sandwich spread,tossed in pasta (I sprinkle with aged Parmesan cheese), or on chicken before roasting.

2 Cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

5 cloves garlic, minced

1 C chopped fresh basil leaves

1/2 C high quality olive oil

1/2 C fresh grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 C pine nuts

Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Toast the pine nuts in the oven onlu until slightly browned

2. In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend into a thick puree is         formed.

Store in air tight container.  

*Sun Dried Tomato Pesto  Add 1/2 C diced rehydrated sun dried tomatoes or 1/2 C oilk packed sun dried tomatoes during STEP 2.

Valued Contributor

Thank you ECBG...  I buy the container of Ranch Dressing mix from Costco, so many uses for it and so much cheaper by the container.  I make buttermilk like you, I never have actual buttermilk in the house.  I will also just double the recipe since pasta just absorbs dressing and need refreshing the next day.  I love pasta salads and like to keep available in the fridge for fast meals for me.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for posting the pesto sauces. Copied and pasted and in my recipe folder!!! Thanks again. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@ECBG, this is from "Chef's Table: Mountain Flavors from Asheville's Most Celebrated Chefs?"

@noodleannOh my GOSH!  I just saw this.  So very, very sorry!  No this is from the Chelsea's Tea Room Cookbook.

In Chelsea's Kitchen Cookbook - Chelsea's and The Village Tea Room Asheville NC

Honored Contributor

That salad looks yummy and what a beautiful setting to dine in!

where is Chelsea’s Tea room?

Trusted Contributor

I just made this it's delicious!