Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Panera Bread Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I have been a big fan of PBLBPS for quite some time. I am a very good cook (but don't get a lot of chances to because of work) and I wanted to try and make this myself because it is available only on certain days and so I could control what is put in there.

Several months ago when I was out of work due to illness I really started looking online for recipes that were like that soup. All the recipes were milk and cream based as I too thought that was what the base of the soup was. I made several variations and while they were very good, they weren't anything close to Paneras recipe.

I have been out of work again due to illness and have been online looking again for recipes that would be exactly like that soup. I have found many websites and recipes stating this soup has no cream or milk in it at all (besides the cream cheese). The base of this soup is simply chicken broth and cream cheese. I was shocked. For some reason that just sounded so unappealing to me but even the pictures of this soup from the online recipes looked like PB's soup.

I finally went to PB's website to look up the ingredients, I don't know why I didn't just do that from the beginning and sure enough, that is what it is. Chicken broth and cream cheese are the base. I always wondered how when I reheated the soup at home I could actually boil it and it wouldn't "break". Well, no wonder, it has no cream or milk in it!!

I tried one of the recipes and tweaked it a little bit to my family's taste and sure enough, it taste exactly like that. Only better in my opinion because I added a little more bacon and I add cheddar cheese to mine. I also added some freshly cut chives that I have grown on my deck.

It really came out wonderful, I was just so surprised.

Did anyone know that about their potato soup?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK