Honored Contributor

POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND BARBECUE SAUCE

[ Edited ]

Fall is coming fast.  There is a chill in the air now so figured this would be one of our last chances to eat dinner on the patio.  Made three salad recipes I have been wanting to try and all came out great.  

4 pounds small red potatoes
1/2 pound lean bacon, preferably applewood smoked, thinly sliced
1-1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 T barbecue sauce
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 T sherry vinegar
2 celery ribs, diced
1 small red onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 T chopped fresh tarragon
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold salted water and bring to a boil.  Cook until tender, about 35 minutes.  Drain and when cool enough to handle cut them in halves or quarters depending on size.  

Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the barbecue sauce, mustard and sherry vinegar.  Fold the potatoes into the dressing while they are still warm.  Let potato salad stand, stirring a few times, until the potatoes have cooled and absorbed most of the dressing - about 20 minutes.

Add the celery, red onion, parsley and tarragon to the potatoes.  Season with salt and pepper and let stand an additional 20 minutes.

In a medium skillet cook bacon until crisp.  Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.  Garnish the salad with the bacon.  

I also made the raw corn salad from Jill Bauer's blog.  Highly recommend that also.  

Honored Contributor

Re: POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND BARBECUE SAUCE

@DiAnne, I almost ate your title! This sounds sinfully good. I'll c & p to my Word recipes. I don't dare run it off yet, it's too early to do that here. Others are asleep. As soon as I can I think I will, I'll look at the one by Jill you mentioned too. But this one, holy Toledo, makes my mouth water.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  This certainly sounds like a really good change of pace to the typical potato salad many of us make.

In the fall/winter we also really enjoy making German potato salad.  We do the one from cook's country, easy and very tasty.

Valued Contributor

This sounds delicious! I have copied and pasted it into my recipe file to try later. Thanks so much for sharing. I don't love to cook but I do love to try new recipes.

Super Contributor

UH, fall is coming fast?  It was a 104 degrees here yesterday!

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou

It is a light brown color.  Red wine vinegar is much harsher than sherry vinegar so I don't think it would be a good substitute.  Any large grocery store should carry it.  I use it a lot in salad dressings because it is so mellow.  

Honored Contributor

Hi @DiAnne

Just wanted to thank you again for this great recipe!  I made it over the weekend so I wouldn't have to cook during Sunday Football games!

I usually make oil & vinegar based salads but DH just loves mayo ones.  The BBQ sauce in this was just the kick a potato salad needed!  He loved it.

AND I have a new wonderful appreciation for tarragon!  Wow...I loved it in this salad.

I hardly ever use tarragon...any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

I am so glad you liked it!  Tarragon is my favorite herb but you have to be careful because it can overpower a dish.  I use it in chicken salad, sauces, salad dressing, etc.  People seem to either love or hate it (like cilantro).  Putting the tarragon stems in the cavity of a chicken you are going to roast is wonderful.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing I think it will be great anytime.

Valued Contributor

Some states are in the 40's already and need to turn on the heater in the p.m.  UGH!