Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2. and everyone else interested in Passover.  We are definitely taking over this thread. Maybe I'll start another called Family Traditions or PASSOVER COMMENTS.

Folks looking for recipes have to go through many posts to find them.

PLEASE any further questions and/or stories, comments about Passover or Seders, see my new post PASSOVER COMMENTS. Post anything there that is NOT a recipe. .....but first, this last one for @Poodlepet2:

Re: Xylitol 

Several years ago, we were vacationing in Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, etc. While sightseeing, we acquired a huge box of sugar free chocolates. When we returned to our hotel, we must have consumed 1/2 the box. After we went to sleep, "sounds" (use your imagination) continued throughout the night. Hubby attributed it to the high elevation and the air we had "sucked in" while hiking.  We called our close friend, a GI doc to see what he thought about our situation, After he laughed for more than 5 minutes, he explained the side effects of Xylitol. We haven't touched it since. 😁

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2. Oh Rats!! Snow stopped after a few hours. No accumulation...high 50 today!! A big tease. Quite disappointed. Really cold weather all week in the 40's, I think. 

Honored Contributor

AMONG FRIENDS now has a thread "PASSOVER COMMENTS" for anything not Passover Recipes. Post your comments, stories, questions there and leave this thread free for recipes only.

Thanks

Shanus

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

AMONG FRIENDS now has a thread "PASSOVER COMMENTS" for anything not Passover Recipes. Post your comments, stories, questions there and leave this thread free for recipes only.

Thanks

Shanus

@Shanus just a voice from the peanut gallery but I am enjoying this thread immensely for both the recipes and the shared thoughts and experiences.  Even though I am 60 years old, I have had very little exposure to the Jewish faith so this has been enlightening, entertaining and heartwarming for me.  Thank you all so much!  Heart

Respected Contributor

My Chicken Soup is actually a bone broth. The Kosher butcher by me sells chicken bones wrapped in a net. I cover it with water and put soup greens (Parsnip, onion, celery, carrot, rutabaga and dill/parsley) Bring to a boil then simmer it for about 4-6 hours skimming off the scum that rises to the top of the water. When I take it off the heat I let it cool down and take a strainer lined with cheesecloth and pour the broth through it. i then cover the bowl and put it in the fridge overnight. the next day i take the congealed fat off the top and strain the broth again. 

I always have a container or two in the freezer to add chicken pieces and vegatables to make soup. I never put salt and can be added according to personal taste.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your post @reiki604!!!! II had toyed with the idea of making chicken bone broth but the bones are so soft, I had no idea how to proceed.

I was thrilled out of my mind to see chicken bone broth in the carton.....but I have a few reservations about it....I am on an anti-consultant that allows me to eat pretty much of anything I want, but turmeric is a known anticoagulant.  The color on the carton is decidedly turmeric hued. The picture also shows what seems to be cloudiness and is really viscous. ....but you have to love it with 8 grams of protein: that's enough for a meal along with vegetables.

We are getting a cold snap down here later in the week and I am looking to audition something new for Pesach!

Out of curiosity, are you a Reiki Practitioner?????

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, II knew where you were going immediately once you mentioned Xylitol! I can just imagine the musical evening you had! ...and most hotel rooms only have one BR!!!!

PS, a serving of the sugar free candy is usually three pieces. It's funny because I can tolerate all of the sugars used independently of each other, but SF candy spikes my glucose higher than the real thing!

Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Thank you so much for your post @reiki604!!!! II had toyed with the idea of making chicken bone broth but the bones are so soft, I had no idea how to proceed.

I was thrilled out of my mind to see chicken bone broth in the carton.....but I have a few reservations about it....I am on an anti-consultant that allows me to eat pretty much of anything I want, but turmeric is a known anticoagulant.  The color on the carton is decidedly turmeric hued. The picture also shows what seems to be cloudiness and is really viscous. ....but you have to love it with 8 grams of protein: that's enough for a meal along with vegetables.

We are getting a cold snap down here later in the week and I am looking to audition something new for Pesach!

Out of curiosity, are you a Reiki Practitioner?????

Poodlepet2

you're very welcome Poolepet2. And yes, I am a Reiki practioner. Smiley HappyWoman Happy

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

How does one remember all of these food rules.I am trying to stay on top of your explanations but I think I will have to reread and take notes.i find it nteresting that menstrating women could not touch the grain in the field but most probably was the one handling it at meal times.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@mustang66lady, there are strict rules about not having fermented products on Passover because we are to be reminded that we had to get out of town (Egypt) so quickly, we didn't have time to even make bread and let it rise-which is why matzoh is eaten.  The time required to make it from start to finish is an arbitrary 17 minutes!

Now why some of us spend hours and days prepping is beyond me....but thousands of years ago, Moses said "Pack up your shovels, your camels and your jackasses(- the "Jack"). We're going to The Promised Land!" A couple of years later, we now say"Put down your shovel, sit on your a$$, light up a Camel-this is The Promised Land"!

I digress....you asked about wine.  For many years, our only choices were Mogen David or Manishewitz-both are very sweet....and the joke there is that when discussing wine, we talk about vintage YEARS: regarding those two wines, we lovingly joke about vintage DAYS...laugh all you want, but there is nothing like Mogen David for making Charoses-a delightful "spread" made typically from fruit and nuts that reminds us of when we had to make bricks without straw as a punishment.  When the Passover story is being told, to remember this event, we take a little charoses and put it on matzoh (you may also find the spelling of "charoseth") .

A few years back, sanctions were obviously lifted on fermentation when it comes to kosher wines.  You can now buy varietal kosher for Pesach wines that are "savory": Baron Herzog makes a wonderful chardonnay for example. I have had some excellent wines from the Gaza-big surprise there because it's known for being arid....some excellent kosher for Pesach wines are coming out of Chile as well...other than Baron Herzog, I can't remember the names of others, but they are out there!

This is an aside, but Jesus was Jewish and it is thought "The Last Supper" occured at Passover. I do not wish to insult non-Jews, but we have a beloved Sage in our history by the name of Hillel.  

Hillel lived 2000 years before Jesus and were very much a part of Jewish wisdom that Jesus-as a Rabbi-would have been familiar with....and much of what was attributed to Jesus was actually said by Hillel!  This is no way detracts from Jesus: if anything, I see it in a very positive way as cementing people of faith and good will together.

Many Christian churches have Passover dinners and I think it's a lovely way to learn about what Rabbi Jesus would have known about and would have grown up with.

Have a great day and welcome to "The Sisterhood"

Poodlepet2 (card carrying lifetime member of Hadassah)

Hi @Poodlepet2

My Protestant denomination believes Jesus was an observant Jew, I think that's pretty standard now, and that The Last Supper was indeed a Passover dinner.

Happy Pesach Smiley Happy