Esteemed Contributor

@Meezerpleezer wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus,  Thank you, Shanus.  Hopefully, I can find in the store or check out our one and only Jewish deli.  i like your trip about the soda.  Matzo balls are better when lighter. IMO  Cat Very Happy

LOL @Katcat1 - Not to me! I grew up with cannonballs and that's how I like them. I remember making them with my mom but sadly I don't have her recipe and she's long passed.

I do recall that she put chicken fat in the mix and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour before we made them into the matzo balls.

@sandraskates  Laughing with you.  The only way DH will eat matzo balls is if they are dense little cannonballs.  His Great GM made them that way.  It has taken me years to get them "right", so he says. 

@Meezerpleezer

@sandraskates

Just what texture am I looking for in matzo balls?   Is it purly a personal perference?   Have thought of trying Ina's recipe for Matzo ball chicken soup but have to admit, I am intimidated.  To me, this is as personal as what a Southerner prefers in a dumpling.  I belong to what is referred to the "slicker" dumpling vs. the doughy dumpling.  Are Matzo balls the same prefernce-dense vs. fluffy?

Esteemed Contributor

Also, this may be a very stupid question.  I don't know if you ladies every watch S*X in the City but in one episode, Charlotte was fixing dinner for Harry for Shabbos and made matzo balls (I assume in soup?) and she said she had to make x amount just to get a few that were the right size and shape-are there special requirements on this?  I assume it would be something to know if I were to make them to get the correct amount for what I was making.  Does that make sense?  Of course I realize this was a t.v. show and "facts" are not necesarily a necessity for t.v. or movies.  Just looking for clarification.  I am thinking I might like to try a Seder dinner for our family (if you do not think it would be an insult since I am not Jewish) and so long as it doesn't fall on the same day as Easter-I no longer have that much energy at my age; LOL!   Then again, Easter is the one family dinner I do take some liberty with, going from traditional ham dinners some years and brunch in other years.  So far this year, I am undecided. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: PASSOVER RECIPES

[ Edited ]

Oh my @mustang66lady  you pose a good question! I would certainly think comparison of matzo balls to dumplings is quite valid.

If you go into a deli that serves matzo balls, they will most likely brag about how light and fluffy they are. As I said, I hate those but I think that is more the normal preference over dense cannonballs - lol. When mine come out of the pot the outer part has a light texture than its interior, which is very dense. We really have to force the spoon through the ball to get a piece of it, but it's worth it!

I consider my mother to have been an excellent cook (unlike her sister); it's just too bad she didn't write down any of her recipes.

Hopefully some of the other posters in this wonderful conversation will chime in on your other questions. I'm not aware of and specific sizes for matzo ball as was shown in S*x in the City.

As for your seder question I'd suggest checking with some of the synagogues to see if perhaps they offer an open seder; some do. Do I think it would be an insult for you to DIY it? No, but I do think it could be more challenging than you think!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have a funny story to tell everyone, from years ago on the Qboard. Every Fri ,they had a candle lighting thread. I became friendly with one of the posters, and  some how we began discussing bacon

She said that she and her brother always wanted to taste it. I asked  her  why they felt that way, because it puzzled me ,when she posted that. She said when they went out to breakfast with their mother, they always smelled it, and thought it would taste wonderful.

So she and her brother devised a plan. They pooled their money and bought a pound of bacon.  Late one night when her parents were asleep they fried it .  Her dad smelled it ,and came downstairs to see what was going on,

Here is the real clinker.  Wait for it!....... Her dad was a kosher butcher.  I don't know what happened but, I'll bet they didn't ever use that skillet again  Smiley LOL

Yikes @cherry  what a terrible thing they did, although they probably didn't understand the severity of their deed. The butcher could have lost so many (if not all) of his customers if they got wind of what the children did.

Many years ago, I had a best friend who was raised by ultra-religious grandparents. She wasn't even allowed to tear toilet paper on Shabbos (no kidding; they had to tear it before sundown, for use later).

Anyway she was about 11 and got a job babysitting. The woman told her to help herself to whatever she wanted to eat.  The next day, I asked her how it went, and she said she got a little sick from the bacon sandwich she made. She said it was so fatty, but she ate it anyway. Turns out, she ate it raw, like she would eat roast beef or turkey! Can you imagine how disgusting that tasted? I get queasy just thinking about eating a raw bacon sandwich. And she put mustard on it too lol Bless her heart, she passed away 13 years ago, and I miss her every day. But a raw bacon sandwich BLECH!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2  thanks for info about adding clementines to the almond cake.  i think the cake stands by itself -  but addition of something fruity makes it more interesting.  i also do a wonderful honey nut cake steeped in orange syrup which is my favorite. the longer it sits, the more scrumptious it gets -  but it is usually finished off in the first one or two days.  Purim Sameach.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I have a funny story to tell everyone, from years ago on the Qboard. Every Fri ,they had a candle lighting thread. I became friendly with one of the posters, and  some how we began discussing bacon

She said that she and her brother always wanted to taste it. I asked  her  why they felt that way, because it puzzled me ,when she posted that. She said when they went out to breakfast with their mother, they always smelled it, and thought it would taste wonderful.

So she and her brother devised a plan. They pooled their money and bought a pound of bacon.  Late one night when her parents were asleep they fried it .  Her dad smelled it ,and came downstairs to see what was going on,

Here is the real clinker.  Wait for it!....... Her dad was a kosher butcher.  I don't know what happened but, I'll bet they didn't ever use that skillet again  Smiley LOL

Yikes @cherry  what a terrible thing they did, although they probably didn't understand the severity of their deed. The butcher could have lost so many (if not all) of his customers if they got wind of what the children did.

Many years ago, I had a best friend who was raised by ultra-religious grandparents. She wasn't even allowed to tear toilet paper on Shabbos (no kidding; they had to tear it before sundown, for use later).

Anyway she was about 11 and got a job babysitting. The woman told her to help herself to whatever she wanted to eat.  The next day, I asked her how it went, and she said she got a little sick from the bacon sandwich she made. She said it was so fatty, but she ate it anyway. Turns out, she ate it raw, like she would eat roast beef or turkey! Can you imagine how disgusting that tasted? I get queasy just thinking about eating a raw bacon sandwich. And she put mustard on it too lol Bless her heart, she passed away 13 years ago, and I miss her every day. But a raw bacon sandwich BLECH!

I think it must have ended OK . She never posted  about what happened, after they were found out. No one else knew about it ouside of their immediate family. She was  a happy go lucky type of person. They were just kids when they did this, and probably didn't think about the consequences to their Dad

I was surprised they went into a restaurant, with their mother, that served bacon, to begin with.

I can't imgaine eating a raw bacon sandwich

One of Fr G job's was to do things, like flush the toilet, and  to light the fires in the home. This was back in the 1930's  so many people might have still had woodstoves

I wonder if nowdays they use automatic flushers on their toilets?

Our cousins family ,weren't  a family that kept kosher, but none the less ,they were pretty devout.

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady. Actually my name is my nickname since childhood...maybe even as a baby...don't remember anyone in my family calling me anything else. It's a Hebrew name that comes from the word Shane or "pretty". Think my family made up their own version of the word... Shanus. I'm half Austrian/Polish and half Russian/German. Definitely no Irish blood. 

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady. My family enjoys the fluffier ones. Since Ina Gartin is Jewish & a wonderful chef, I'd go w/ her recipe.

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady  I think that whether a matzo ball is light or fluffy is personal taste.  Probably most people like fluffy.  DH has an identical twin who only likes matzo balls large and fluffy. 

Like @sandraskates, the little cannonballs that I make are very dense/chewy on the inside and a little lighter if you will, on the outside.  They are difficult to cut in half with a spoon but it can be done.  I think that is why DH likes them smaller--much easier to eat.  When we lived in a more metropolitan area, the Jewish restaurants all seemed to serve very light, very large matzo balls in a chicken based broth soup.  I remember one place in particular, there was only 1 matzo ball in the bowl of soup and it was about the size of a tennis ball.

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional, this is a stellar cake! I have to be gluten free, and I am diabetic, so GF cake mixes are not on my radar.  I have never done the nutritional, but it's a healthy snack for me! I don't get hungry for at least 2-3 hours after eating it!!! Whoever thought cake could be good for you?

I can see using this recipe for honey cake too! We get some marvelous honey down here:  bee keeping is a must for our farmers. If you ever have the chance to buy mango or papaya honey, go for it!

Once again, this is not my recipe, it's Nigella Lawsons. The first time I made it-after the first bite-I knew I cracked the code on what pro-Kosher bakers use to make their Pesach cakes so moist!

Here's another idea: how about drizzling it with Coconutta for the grownups????

Poodlepet2